Unanswered: Autonumbering in unbound form field?

I have a form.I have unbound field in it (can have bound aswell, but I think it isn't better). Now i want to show me numbers there, starting with 1, and after i go to next record, it should change to 2, then 3, 4 and so on...smth like default number, that would change...

The main idea is to have continuos from view, and have there rows with number (increasing) in front of every row.Smth similar to "running sum" option in report. But as far as i know, there isn't such thing in forms...maybe there are any other ways of achieving it?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    for what purpose, don't understand the requirement
    what does this number give you?
    what does this running sum give you?
    why would your users need such a thing?
    are you planning to use this as an index to a row, or is it just "ohh that looks pretty?"

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    for what purpose, don't understand the requirement
    what does this number give you?
    what does this running sum give you?
    why would your users need such a thing?
    are you planning to use this as an index to a row, or is it just "ohh that looks pretty?"

This is for better view of the whole continuous form. If there are 50rows, and all start with the same word, it is hard to figure out "where were you" when you navigate through them (with your eyes).

Have you ever saw something similar in reports? When each row has number on the left side, and number says which row it is (first, second, third).So here is the same idea, and for the same purpose...

Those values could be stored together with all other data in the same table or they can be unbound aswell (if it is possible).

Provided Answers: 59
    H'm so the row number in the record navigation at the foot of the form is insufficient for that purpose then.

if you are using unbound controls on continuous forms then you cannot assign a value to individual controls that will be different accross multiple rows. - cant' be done.

I always understood that such numbering in reports was so that you could identify a row if you needed to talk to a colleague reomtely or refer to it in an abstarct / memo. Indeed going back to the 'good old days' of lineprinters using fanfold paper the line numbers were pre printed. don't see the purpose though in data entry. if you want soemthing that is static ie the same between displays then you need some form of column, but you probably already have that in the primary key - whihc usually is numeric.

if you want a row n of n rows type display, then it can be done. However it costs. AFAIK there is no easy to find, painless method of nowing hte number of rows in your recordset (yes you can ".movelast" to find the number of records but it costs especially with a large dataset). There is no equivlant from databases like MySQL which can gelpfully inform you of the number of rows in the resultset.

So I come back to the same question is this soemthing you require, or is it something that'd be nice to have?

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    H'm so the row number in the record navigation at the foot of the form is insufficient for that purpose then.

if you are using unbound controls on continuous forms then you cannot assign a value to individual controls that will be different accross multiple rows. - cant' be done.

I always understood that such numbering in reports was so that you could identify a row if you needed to talk to a colleague reomtely or refer to it in an abstarct / memo. Indeed going back to the 'good old days' of lineprinters using fanfold paper the line numbers were pre printed. don't see the purpose though in data entry. if you want soemthing that is static ie the same between displays then you need some form of column, but you probably already have that in the primary key - whihc usually is numeric.

if you want a row n of n rows type display, then it can be done. However it costs. AFAIK there is no easy to find, painless method of nowing hte number of rows in your recordset (yes you can ".movelast" to find the number of records but it costs especially with a large dataset). There is no equivlant from databases like MySQL which can gelpfully inform you of the number of rows in the resultset.

So I come back to the same question is this soemthing you require, or is it something that'd be nice to have?
    This is smth that would be nice to have, but as i understand, i'll have to leave it as it is for now Thanks