Unanswered: MySQL newbie help

Ok guys bear with me, Im trying very hard to learn and I have learned alot already.

Problem/Goal: I want to configure a MySql database, allocate a user with the correct permissions for that database, given/set a password and started the database server application.

Reason: I want to install a phpbb forum, but it needs a db to connect to, and I wanna setup the MySql to connect to it.

Prerequisites: I have MySQL installed successfully, and PHP5 successfully, all I need to do now is have the login information so I can connect the forum to the db.

I dont know what shell> means but I do know a few things in MySQL, please be easy on me when you explain this to me!

"shell>" refers to the command prompt, in a console window (or “DOS window” if you are using MS).

I suggest you google "mysql install guide". If you reply to this post, include the version of MySQL you are installing, your platform, the URL of the install guide you are following, and any error messages you are receiving.

Before you can logon to MySQL you'll need to start the MySQL database server. You'll either set this to start automatically when you turn on your PC, or you can type in the command from the command line. The MySQL database server is known as "mysqld" (See the "bin" directory of your MySQL installation).

For you or your application to logon to the MySQL database server once its started you need a uername and password. I think the "root" username is available automatically after install, as is the database name "test". From the command line you might type in something like "mysql test -u root".

You should create a username for your MySQL database after install instead of using "root" all the time.

I did all that before...

I am using my sql 4.1

I have everything setup for the user and everything, but the problem is that the forums come up with a error message that says it cant connect to the database, yet i checked all the passwords and everything and it should work.

I also tried resotoring the .sql file using mysql admin and it always stops at like 25% and says complete but i know its not complete... why does it do that? should i use shell> instead? whats the commanbd for it lets say if my .sql file was called db.sql and is ion the c:\ directory.

here is the error message i get

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in f:\inetpub\wwwroot\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in f:\inetpub\wwwroot\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in f:\inetpub\wwwroot\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 331
    phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I suggest you try the phpBB Support forum within the community section of phpbb.com (http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/), as the clarification of your issue shows that it is beyond the scope of this MySQL forum.

I am already a member there and they said this is a mysql issue becuase I have to upgrade the mysql clients, how do I do that?

they gave me this link but it didnt say how to upgrade.
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html

I found a good article here:

http://www.openwin.org/mike/index.ph...col-requested/

which says...

---
    In MySQL Version 4.1, the MySQL developers upgraded the process used to authenticate users. The password hash used in authentication was increased from 16 to 41 bytes, and the hashes were made more secure.

One side effect of this is that versions of MySQL clients older than version 4.1 cannot talk to a version 4.1 server, because old clients will not be able to give the proper password hashes.

There are two ways to deal with this. The first way is to upgrade your client library as the error message suggests. This is a good idea because you will then be using more secure authentication and reaping the benefits of newer client libraries. PHP users should note that only the MySQLi library uses a new client library.

The second way is to force the 4.1 server to use the older authentication protocols. This can either be done on a per-account or server-wide basis.

To configure a single account to use the old protocols, set the password for the account using a 16 byte hash:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ’some_user’@’some_host’ = OLD_PASSWORD(’mypass’);

When MySQL detects an 16 byte hash, it will authenticate the account using the older password hasing system and older client applications will be able to connect.

To configure MySQL to use the older authentication scheme on a server-wide level, add old-passwords as an option in your configuration file under the [mysqld] section. This will cause the server to set all passwords using 16 byte hashes, which will force the older authentication scheme. Any existing 41 byte passwords will need to be reset in 16 bytes using the SET PASSWORD syntax described above.

---
    hope that helps you.

what a coincidence, i was just reading the same article ans i used the old password function and it worked!!!

ok the last problem i have is importing the .sql into the database....
    I read everywhere but cant firgure it out can you give me an easy step by step way to do it!

im sure its easy and just a few steps, can you help me?