Unanswered: Accessing the transaction log

Dear All,

Can someone let me know how I can have a look at the transaction log in SQL server. I'd like to find out what INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE commands have been executed on a table today, yesterday etc.

Can I see this easily?

Provided Answers: 6
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

use DBCC LOG (dbname) it is undocumented and output is not easily readable but it might work for you

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    Thanks for this, I have installed it, however the trial version doesn't let me look at my own DBs. Any idea how much it costs, as there is no priceing on their website (I'm yet to contact them)

Quote Originally Posted by jpotucek
    use DBCC LOG (dbname) it is undocumented and output is not easily readable but it might work for you
    Thanks for this, I bever actually used SQL server from the command line, I used ORACLE but ages ago, can you refresh my memory on how to get to the command line so I can type in the command you gave me, thanks a lot

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgenyi
    Thanks for this, I bever actually used SQL server from the command line, I used ORACLE but ages ago, can you refresh my memory on how to get to the command line so I can type in the command you gave me, thanks a lot
    use the query analyzer to execute this.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thanks, tried with all the options 1/2/3/4, can't really make much sense of it.

What I was looking for is when an insert / update / delete happened and what the data the cell contained before.

Or does this not exist in a transaction log?

Ok, it does make sense, now that I tried create and update commands and run the transaction log command. I guess it's as far as this will take me. Might have have another look at that Lumi.. software, it's just that the trial version doesn't seem to give me much options to see transactions on tables I created in my db previously.

Anyway, thanks for advice and if someone else knows a good free kit, I'd love to hear about it, thanks again!

you can also try

select * from ::fn_dblog(null, null)

There's a bit of info on this function at:
    http://www.novicksoftware.com/UDFofW...7-fn_dblog.htm

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?