Unanswered: Linking cells/adding users to it

Hello All,

I have made this simple spreadsheet that allows you to enter the following fields.

Date

Order#

Part Number

Area

Initials

Problem

Comments/Suggestions

There are few problems I am encountering when I try to modify it.
    I was wondering what are the necessary steps I need to take to make it work for my environment. This is what I am trying to achieve.

1. Able to copy and paste all of the topics to either another sheet or workbook in the exact format
    I have tried that by linking the sheet it works fine but when delete the data from the backup file(cell) it deletes the formula as well.

2. Able to create an option of multiple users that are all able to edit the sheet, or input data into the desired fields

Thanks a lot.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You didn't say what your environment is? Stand alone PCs? Client Server? Web?...

1. Able to copy and paste all of the topics to either another sheet or workbook in the exact format.

You said copy and paste but then you are talking about linking in another workbook? You did not say why you need to copy or replicate this to another workbook? If it is for back-up purposes then just copy the entire file periodically to a backup folder.

2. Able to create an option of multiple users that are all able to edit the sheet, or input data into the desired fields

Here again difficult to answer this without knowing how many users, how often they need to edit and add information and what your environment is. Maybe you could use the Shared workbook or Shared Workspace features in Excel?
    ~

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by savbill
    You didn't say what your environment is? Stand alone PCs? Client Server? Web?...

1. Able to copy and paste all of the topics to either another sheet or workbook in the exact format.

You said copy and paste but then you are talking about linking in another workbook? You did not say why you need to copy or replicate this to another workbook? If it is for back-up purposes then just copy the entire file periodically to a backup folder.

Here again difficult to answer this without knowing how many users, how often they need to edit and add information and what your environment is. Maybe you could use the Shared workbook or Shared Workspace features in Excel?
    Sorry for not being clear

I have two sheets in my workbook. Both have all the same fields except the second sheet called close items have a field called solutions instead of comments/suggestions. Now after i link every field by chosing the paste link option i get every thing transfer on to the close items sheet no problem, however after i type in the solution for the problems in the solution cell few days later i have to delete the whole row but if i do that then i lose my formula.
    How can i prevent this from happening??

There are about 20 to 30 users going to be inputing there info in that how can i let them edit it at the same time??

Thanks

From what you describe using formulas would be very problematic. First with the association to the first page removing any original data will break the formulas associated on the second page as you've learned. In this case to maintain the data integrity you would need to copy the data from the first page to the second page so there is no formula links to break. This would be practical if it was only you updating information. With 20 users it will be impossible to have everyone follow a consistent process to keep the data accurate.

For this number of users and the need for multi user access and data input an MS Access Database would be a better solution. Access is much better at handling record locking and data refresh to update results on the users view.

To do this with Excel it would be best to limit the data input responsability to 1-2 users and anyone else not needing to edit open the file as read-only. You can also consider creating a process using Visual Basic to control the input. This would save the data each time prior to and after data input. It would maintain key associations between main tasks and associated result records. This process should incorporate a separate worksheet or User form for data entry. It should validated and enter data to a separate workbook worksheet using an automated process. You need to have strict controls in place with this many people using the data.
    ~

Bill