db design for commentable recipe wiki

i'd like to make a recipe wiki with a twist or two. here are a couple things i'm wondering:

- since everything (users included) will be commentable and rateable, should i make a database-wide auto-incrementing counter for items independent of their own table's primary key? that way, recipes, ingredients and users would be assigned an 'article_id' in addition to their recipe_id, ingred_id or user_id, and the comments table will only need to contain "article_id, comment_content"). otherwise it looked like i'd need separate tables for recipe comments (reference recipe_id), ingredient comments (reference ingred_id), etc.

- if items are rated, is it a good idea to cache the current score? each time someone rates something, an entry of "article_id, user_id, rating" will be created, but i don't want to have to scan the entire ratings table each time a page is viewed to recreate something's average score. is it that bad to cache the current rating in a separate rating cache table?

- what's a good way to represent a recipe's ingredients and steps? my current favorite method:

Code:
    table recipe:
    -recipe_id
    -name
    -blurb

table ingredients:
    -ingred_id
    -name
    -blurb

table quantities:
    -quantity_id
    -quantity_name

table recipe_ingredients:
    -recipe_id
    -ingred_id
    -quantity_id
    -quantity_amount

table recipe_steps:
    -recipe_id
    -step_number
    -step_content
    a recipe will have multiple entries under recipe_ingredients, such that a cake can contain "1 teaspoon flour, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups molasses" or some such. i'd also like to be able to convert measurements between imperial and metric, which is why i made quantity methods their own table, but what's a good way to actually perform the conversion? how about this:

Code:
    table quantities:
    -quantity_id
    -imperial_name
    -metric_name
    -metric_multiplier
    thus if someone wants metric, the name is switched and the quantity is multiplied by the metric_multiplier. sounds like that would have to be client-side though. any way i can specify imperial/metric at the query level?

i know this has been a rambling post, but the general idea is a commentable editable recipe site. i'd appreciate any advice or references.

You seem to have a solid understanding of your data.

I would treat comments/ratings on recipes, ingredients, user's etc separately and have them on different pages of the wiki. It's a simpler structure ultimately.

Caching ratings in a table is okay.

Your tables are fine. I would have a step_id as the primary key and the step_number as a unique natural key. This would allow for editing.

For metric and imperial simply have your wiki have two queries and choose which to use accordingly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

i like that step_id idea. what did you create that nifty diagram with? i've been looking for a rad tool capable of linking tables like that, every open source one i've seen has been woefully crash-prone and couldn't link tables anyway.

i'm also now wondering about my category system, but i started another thread for that since it's a more general question (i guess).

Google dbdesigner