Thread: Transaction Log

Question Unanswered: Transaction Log

I have a question regarding log backups etc, so here goes.

I backup my database doing a complete backup and overwrite every Sunday night. I then backup the logs doing an append every day once every 30 minutes between 0700 and 1900 hours.

I understand that my log will just grow and grow, correct me if I am wrong. What I want to be able to do is to only keep say, a months worth of logs. Is this possible, if so, how do I set this up to work?

Thanks

Neil.

Provided Answers: 6
    check out the retaindays and expiredate of the backup command in sql server books online.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I would not recommend appending backups to a backup device. Too many times I've seen backup device corruption, and when it happens, - nothing is accessible from that file.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Neil,

From Data Maintenance Plans, you can set up 'Transaction Log Backup' will be removed files older than 1 month.

VanDBA