Red face Unanswered: Remote mysql and Filemaker, Servoy,...?

Dear forum visitors,

What db can I use to connect remotely to a mysql database.
    As a Filemaker developer I've been looking desperately for a plugin that would allow me to add/retrieve/query a remote mysql database. But there seems to be none.
    So I'm looking for a user friendly, cross-platform front-end/database system to connect to a remote hosted mysql database.
    Have you got suggestions.
    For know I've asked for a Servoy trial version (www.servoy.com).
    Really need to find a good user-friendly solution.

Thank you for reading and eventually answering this question
    Michèle

Get phpMyAdmin and add your server details in the config file and you should be able to connect remotely.

Reply For Anjanesh

Dear Anjanesh,

Or I don't understand your reply or maybe my question wasn't clear.

I've got phpmyadmin and through a browser you can of course insert querystrings manually.
    But what I need is a database that runs locally (user-friendly like Filemaker for example) that is able to connect to my remotely hosted mysql database.
    My question is, what local database can do this?
    Michèle

You want a local database (say MySQL on your PC) that can connect to your server database (say MySQL on your server) ?
    For what purpose ?

Reply For Anjanesh, local database

Yes, I need a local database to connect to the remote mysql database.

This is because only part of the data has to be shown on the web and then deleted again after an amount of time.
    Locally the data has to be processed for different purposes too. So not only to be shown and modified (by visitors of the site) online.

So I need a local, user-friendly, database.
    Mysql can run localy but doesn't exactly have a user-friendly interface. You need to know about the code and building queries to use it.

So it would definitely need to be another database locally. Like Filemaker for example :-). But the problem seems to be making the connection.
    All I need is to be able to send the query instruction and retrieve the results in a field so I can process them.
    There are plug-ins to do this with a local mysql database (through ODBC if I'm not mistaking) but there seems to be no answer for remote ones.
    Michèle

Are you looking for a MySQL client instead ?

Answer for Anjanesh, mysql client

Yes, guess it's called a client.

I need software (a plug-in?) to make Filemaker - or any other user-friendly database you could advice me - to connect to the remote mysql database.
    Michèle

Provided Answers: 59
    I think the question is: that you are running MySQL remotely to run a web site, but you want to store some stuff locally which should not be visible in the remote machine. You use Filemaker locally and would like to develop / store the local stuff using a front end such as Filemaker.

What are you running filemaker on - a PC or a MAC. if the former then you should be able to connect to the remote using an ODBC connection. If filemaker dosn't support ODBC (I'd be surprosed if it doesn't) then you may have to go down the MS Access route. - may be worthwhile asking how to connect Filemaker to MySQL on the Filemaker thread)

As to how you connect to remote datasources on MAC's?- haven't got a clue - you'll have to ask a MAC user.

Actually, if you have Apache, PHP running on your local PC, you can install phpMyAdmin and get phpMyAdmin on your local PC connect to your remote mysql database.
    But I guess you're looking for a Windows App.
    There is one common one - I dont remember it now.

Anyway, searching google came up with webyog

In reply to Healdem

Correct!

What I didn't know was that you could connect remotely through odbc.
    Thank you for answering and reformulating my question.
    I'll use your words to ask my question on the Filemaker forum so 'real' programmers will understand me :-).

Kind regards.
    Michèle