Unanswered: Any opinions about OpenOffice?

Volunteer for small nonprofit setting up data base. Want to avoid anything pricey. Any other suggestions welcome.

Provided Answers: 54
    MySQL? There is a forum here at DBForums, and the MySQL web site is good too. For a non-profit, MySQL is a great choice.

-PatP

Also, for a more complete (full featured) database implementation, PostgreSQL
    Last edited by loquin; 01-31-06 at 15:24.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

In addition, if the databases won't be more than 2GB in size, or the number of concurrent users is limited, MSDE may work just fine for you.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Provided Answers: 59
    if its for a charity or freebie then I'd seriously consoder staying within the Microsoft fold, of for no other reason maintainability.

You can use MySQL for your data backend, but for your user interface I'd strongly push for a common generic front end tool such as Access - the reason so that if you decide to move on, the organisation has a fighting chance of finding someone else to pick up the reins. If you go down the open office route then it may be harder to find someone to pick up the pieces.

From the limited amount I've seen of open office db frontend (I forget what its called) it seems quite capable, but its light years behind Access in terms of a development environment.

The only caveat I have over reccomending Access is that in some ways its too easy, and some numpty may come on after you and wreck the systrem through lack of knowledge.

If the budget is tight (and its going to be) then Open Source may be a cost effective solution, especially if the organsiation has got access to some slightly older hardware being thrown out by organisiations (its worth asking universtities and colleges, big companies and local governments what they do with their redundant hardware) -in the UK some organisations are happy to donate such hardware to perceived 'good' causes. However whats cheap in the short term may be very expensive in the longterm. If people are familiar with MS office then its a good reason to stick with it.

-just my tuppence's worth
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    some numpty may come on after you and wreck the systrem
    Ah - the Ubiquitus Numpty Factor.

You may or may not want to investigate (or get the org to investigate) the possibility of obtaining a grant for the system. This could, though, mean you don't do the system as they might then be able to afford to get a pro in.

My most profitable job yet - the one where my charity client negotiated my rate up because it was easier to spend their entire grant than have to explain why they were returning some of it
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.