Thread: DB2 Server move

Unanswered: DB2 Server move

We have moved the DB2 server from one server to the other after doing a system backup and restoring to the other one. On the new server we are using 64 bit. First we couldn't start the DB2 because it was stil refering to the old server.

After modifying 'db2nodes.cfg' file by replacing the old server name with new server name, we could get it to work but now we can not start the admin server.

When I ran 'DB2set -all' I get the old server name in 'DB2SYSTEM=Oldserver'. I will try to change that by using 'DB2set -g DB2SYSTEM=NEWSERVER'. See if I can get the DB2admin start.

What other things I need to do to configure the DB2 on the new server ?

Thanks for any help.

Unfortunatally it did not work. I am getting "SQL1042C An unexpected system error occured....." Error.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 5
    I do not think you can just restore DB2 from a backup onto a new machine and expect it to work. I think you need to install DB2 on the new server, backup the old db and restore it on the new server.

You can check out this like for more info.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...t/t0009804.htm

Andy

According to IBM this was possible..........

Source server: AIX 5.2, DB2 V 8.1.5 32 Bit
    Destination Server: AIX 5.2, DB2 V 8.1.5 64 Bit

Thanks.

We tried something similar and failed; reason given was when an instance was created, somewhere in one of the numerous configuration files, an item is created using the unique machine code of the system. If you restore it on another system, it compares this item with the machine code and fails. You have to install DB2 software, create an instance, and restore JUST the DB2 backup.
    mota

There were 3 things that were moved to the new system:

1- DB2
    2- WebSphere
    3- MQ

Management said that it was possible to migrate everything this way according to the info they got from IBM. I am thinking that they may have misunderstand the migration process. It may be possible to move everything over and then remove the first server from network, then rename the new server as the old server.
    We may have to reinstall/reconfigure all 3 software.
    Any comments ?

Thanks.