Thread: Transfer Data

Unanswered: Transfer Data

I would like to ask about the Data transfer . I have huge data in Access database and want to transfer in the MS SQL Server 2000. Can some body help me how i can do it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akrupak
    I would like to ask about the Data transfer . I have huge data in Access database and want to transfer in the MS SQL Server 2000. Can some body help me how i can do it.
    Thanks
    What's "huge"? Access is limited to (I think) around 1 GB.

If you have a licensed copy of SQL Server, you can use the database upsizing wizard (though I don't necessarily recommend this). It might be the simplest and quickest route, but you will learn very little about SQL Server in the process.

If you don't have a licensed copy of SQL Server, you should still be eligible for MSDE 2000 (since you have a licensed copy of MS Access).

You could also use a DTS package, but again you will learn very little in the process.

Some things to watch out for:
    Converting Access Date/Time to SQL datetime. The wizards usually choose the smaller SQL data type smalldatetime. You will lose some precision in the conversion.

Converting Access Yes/No data type to SQL bit data type. SQL bit is 0/1 while Access is 0/-1.

Often times when converting an Access Query, the wizards will simply take the data in a query and create a new table in SQL. Usually this is not what you want. Usually you will want to create an MS SQL View.

Practice the conversion process several times in a development environment before you go for the actual thing. Make sure you have a backout plan before starting the final conversion. Make sure you have good backups of the Access database before you touch anything.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    What's "huge"? Access is limited to (I think) around 1 GB.
    Access table size is limited to 1 GB. Database size is unlimited, or at least much greater than 1 GB.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Access table size is limited to 1 GB. Database size is unlimited, or at least much greater than 1 GB.
    Thnx. It's been a while since I did a lot of work with Access (I think I last worked with it regularly when it was Access97).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?