Unanswered: Backup vs Export data

Please, can anyone sort this out for me?

What is the difference between backup-restore and export-import data?

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 1
    Export-Import uses DTS to transfer data directly between two databases. Backup dumps data to a file on a drive, and restore loads data from files.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks for anwering my post
    So, in case of an emergency, If I do not have a backup, but I have exported data in an other database, I can import data again and everything would be ok?

Provided Answers: 6
    I would use backups because what the blinddude forgot to mention is that backups perserve the database objects as well (stored procedure, triggers, views, functions etc...) as well. If your environment is like mine, people are making changes all the time to this stuf.

Also, if you structure your disaster recovery correctly, you can achieve point in time recovery and minimize data loss.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    Well, you could import objects from a remote database as well, though transferring logins and permissions would be difficult.

The big reason (or one of them) for using backups is that you can maintain multiple backup files, allowing you to restore your database to any point in time, down to the minute if data corruption occurs. You cannot do this with import/export. DTS was not meant for data archiving or recoverability, and should not be used for such.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thanks for answering my post!
    I think that I once used the Enterprise Manager and I was able to export Stored Procedures using the export data feature.
    Isn t that possible on Management Studio?