Thread: Database Design

Question Unanswered: Database Design

Hi,

I am designing a db for my car event that happens once a year.

It needs to hold car info like engine specs, car specs. Entrant details and event details, merchandise info.

I started out designing on paper (Can’t stress how much this helped a definite must for all noobs and experienced I would imagine) and went from there. I ended up modifying the northwind database as this is very closely suited to my needs.

Ended up using northwind and modified it to suit my situation.definately recommend this to beginners as it gives you a good look at databases and great starting point. This way I have learnt more than I thought I ever would about vb.anyway this db has everything I need I think, the db is for holding info about participants in a car event. There is a form that the entrant would fill out asking there details and the car details. There is also a section on the form to buy merchandise as the car event has its own T-Shirt and DVD.I have added this into the database but I am having trouble finding where to put the T-Shirt Sizes.

E.g. there has been 3 events so far (1 per year), car event 1, car event 2, car event 3.each event has had a T-shirt. this t-shirt comes in sizes, xxs,xs,s,m,l,xl,xxl,xxxl,xxxxl,xxxxxl.my problem is do you add the same t-shirt in the products table 10 times just with different sizes.

Once you look at the db you will have a better idea.

The database only has a very standard form for getting around while I complete the design, all the beautification will come after this stage.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

(PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER OR IT WILL NOT WORK DUE TO REMOTE LOADING)

Access 2000

Access 2002 - 2003

Lightbulb I think I can help

Hi Dean,

I think I can help ya out here, just let me know if something needs clarifying.

First, I think it would be best to store the shirt sizes in a table (tblShirtSizes) with a primary key id (sizeId) to reference a size and the size attribute (size) to specify a shirt size. I like this approach because it allows for you to edit this list (add, remove or edit the sizes if needed).

To use this now, you will have to reference the "sizeId" attribute of the "tblShirtSizes" table to specify what shirt size. You will need to store this ID value wherever you wish to select a shirt size.

If you need help referencing and displaying the size attribute (the actual size), just let me know and I can try to step you through it.

Adam
    Last edited by barleyman; 01-11-06 at 15:20.

Hi,

I have done what you suggested, check it out and see what ya think.

The only trouble I am having is if the reference to size is in the right table. It is currently in the products table, but this once again creates 10 products the same with just different sizes.

Is this right.

(PLEASE COPY AND PASTE THE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER OR IT WILL NOT WORK DUE TO REMOTE LOADING)

Access 2000

Access 2002-2003

thanks,
    Dean

Dean,

Would it make more sense for the size attribute to be in the "Order Details" table instead of the "Products" table? If I am understanding this correctly, this is where a size is selected anyways, from a user ordering a shirt?

Adam