Exclamation Unanswered: Who can help me with conection over Internet?

Hi,
    Now I really need you help. I have an application that needs to conect to a server
    over the internet and I have change the MSQL port to 2015 cos the server even with a
    firewall it has been attempt to be hacked. So I needed to change the port but my application
    cannot conect to the server if I change it. If I left in the firewall 1433 and SQL it works fine
    but once I change it to 2015 it doesn´t work.

I´m using ADO conection as folow:

Variables string parameters:
    01=password
    02=user
    03=database
    04=server IP adress

"Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password='+01+';Persist Security Info=True;User ID='+02+';Initial Catalog='+03+';Data Source='+04;"

Using this conection string I can conect to the server using 1433 port but if I change the port I get the folow message:

"[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

I´d try to add the new port number to IP adress but it doesn´t work as (200.121.65.140:2015) and it return the folow message:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (ParseConnectParams()).]Invalid connection.

What I need to know or to do? Please somebody help me cos I don´t know more what to do and my superiors need awnsers.
    Thanks for attetion.

Leonardo Almeida.

Provided Answers: 6
    this is very dangerous (the fact you have a dbserver directly exposed to the web) and I would reccomend against this method of doing what you are trying to do.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I concur. You should never leave any sql server open to the wild. My reccomendation is to either

1) VPN

2) Use a different connectivity solution.

The basic MS driver also wants to see UDP port 1434. Search BOL for firewall. You have difficulty with intermediate internet providers blocking traffic. You can also try this:

My company (http://www.openlinksw.com) has something that might help. We have a multi-tier solution that allows you to configure the connection ports independent of the database. A Request Broker resides at the (in this case) DB site. It can support ssl session encryption, it has a rules engine that can process the requests and accept/reject/reconfigure connection requests based on several criteria.

We have demo available if interested, and installation support.

My apologies for the sales pitch.

Jay Grubb
    Technical Consultant
    OpenLink Software
    Web: http://www.openlinksw.com:
    Product Weblogs:
    Virtuoso: http://www.openlinksw.com/weblogs/virtuoso
    UDA: http://www.openlinksw.com/weblogs/uda
    Universal Data Access & Virtual Database Technology Providers

Provided Answers: 6
    the neglect of this site's owners, the abandonment of the moderators, some shameless self promotion, a lot of spam posts and the occassional crashing of the server is what is bring about the demise of this website.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.