Question Unanswered: Access To Oracle Conversion?

Hello All

I currently have a large database consisting of about 5000 records. What im trying to achive, is a conversion from an access database to an oracle database. I was wondering if anyone knew, if a SQL query exists to perform the following or if this can be achived, using some form of code. Im indending on writing software, which would do the conversion for me eventually, but a SQL query would be a start if its possible.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks again MoFish

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >but a SQL query would be a start if its possible.
    Yes, it is possible but watch out for case sensitivity
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Thumbs up

The plan was to shift all data from Access to Oracle, absolutely everything. Figuring out how however, seems to be proving a nightmare. Ill do some more research though .. least I know this is possible now. Just finding the right resources. I was thinking it would be a simple SQL query, SELECT ALL FROM (ACCESS) MOVE TO (ORACLE) type thing. This seems to be a much greater task than I first anticipated.

Thanks Again MoFish

Provided Answers: 4
    A large database consisting of about 5000 records?

If an Access database is an Oracle table, another possible way would be exporting Access data into a TEXT file (perhaps CSV file?) and import it into Oracle table (using, for example, SQL*Loader).

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    If an Access database is an Oracle table, another possible way would be exporting Access data into a TEXT file (perhaps CSV file?) and import it into Oracle table (using, for example, SQL*Loader).
    interesting, ill look into that. thanks

Provided Answers: 4
    No problem; here is a link to the SQL*Loader documentation.

thank you, looking now

Access has its own methods of exporting objects directly to Oracle through ODBC. You just need to right click the objects you want to export and click Export from the menu. You can even automate this (allthough I haven't tried it) through Macros. Anyway, I dont know whether this will be faster/slower than Exporting the data to flat files then loading them through SQL*Loader. Allthough if you choose the latest, you will have to create your tables manually, which will imply in time -- thing you would not be under if you choose the first one.