Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello dBforums!

Post Hello dBforums!

I thought I'd try to start a new thread. Because we're finding that dBforums is not dead.

Are there problems?

Sure.

Are there problems that can't be fixed?

Nope.

There are some software problems that, hopefully, will be sorted after the update next week. If the update doesn't fix everything, we'll be addressing those straight away.

It looks like we have some good core moderators at the ready. But, as there are a lot of forum categories here, we could use a lot more.

I'm sure most of you are like me. You'd rather see too many moderators, than not enough.

We're acutely aware of what too little moderation can do.

Now that I've talked a bit, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Dennis Johnson. I go by SoftWareRevue (don't ask why) on several forums. Some places I'm registered as SWR, because it's easier to type.

I know nothing of what you guys talk about here. So, I'm asking for your help.

If you feel you are qualified and have some extra time to help moderate, please contact me via my PM or email links here. Or raise your voice in this thread.

I see good things ahead for dBforums. But, it's only possible if we all work towards that.

The moderators I've met seem like outstanding individuals. If they are indicative of the member base here, this forum is going to be just fine.

We are open to any suggestions or concerns. So, feel free to post them. Or even contact a moderator privately if that's more your way. But, the more we know we need to fix, the more we can fix.

There's not a lot we can address, beyond the moderation issue, until after the vBulletin update. But, feel free to mention anything you feel needs to be mentioned.

I look forward to being a small part of the rebirth of dBforums.

Feedback, suggestions, and constructive criticism are encouraged.

Nice to meet you all.

Let's talk.
    Have a community? Have questions?

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    . . . after the update next week. . .
    It seems we're early with the upgrade.

I've posted a global announcement which states:
    Our upgrade of the forum software has been completed earlier than anticipated.

Due to some severe database issues, we made the difficult decision to upgrade without warning.

The discovery was made. The resources were at hand. And the upgrade began.

We apologize for the inconvenience. But, we believe the increase in functionality and form will be considered worth more than the hours of inaccessibility.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    I'm really sorry that we didn't have time for fair warning. But, we couldn't wait until the scheduled upgrade.

Normally I'm big on getting announcments out beforehand, but when you've got a situation like that sometimes you need to act while you can and cope with the consequences afterwards. I hope that I speak for everyone on this, but I certainly think you did the right thing... While it is good to do things "by the book", sometimes you have to "keep the wheels on the bus" and worry about niceties at a more appropriate time!

-PatP

Khm, was the forum UPgraded or DOWNgraded?

There are two differences I noticed: first, and far more important, is that finally someone decided to take care about the Forum. There are numerous (new) moderators who will, I sincerely hope, keep the Forum a pleasant place to stay. That is an UPgrade.

Downgrade? Well, where did that nice "Quick reply" button go? This morning, it was 3 shots of 3. On the "Quote" button, of course ... Therefore, if it is not much to ask - could you return that button back, please?

HI Dennis !

My name is Curtis, i am willing to be a moderator on your site. I own a web hosting company and take online forums seriously.
    http://www.GetMySiteOnline.com
    i have made several attempts in the past to bring issues such as illegal software for sale, scams, "get rich quick" scheems and such to the attention of management, but the "contact us" information would always end up getting the email kicked back as undeliverable.

users dont have time nor should they have to tollerate messing around with scams, fake advertising and the like.

so yes. sign me up so i can help keep the forum clean.
    http://www.HawaiianHope.org
    Providing Technology services to non profit orgs, Homeless Shelters, Food Pantries, Clean And Sober Houses and more.
    To date we have given away over 900 free computers !

kropes2001, you've made only 10 posts on dbforums, and only ONE of them has actually answered a question. And you prominently display advertising for your website in your signature.
    In my opinion, YOU are the posters we want to AVOID, not make into moderators.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Thank you for your prejudice, un informed point of view. I always appreciate any type of accurate constructive criticisms, however I will address your misunderstanding now.

The reason I have not posted more on this board prior to this point is that I did not think it was a serious attempt by the administration to keep it clean from junk. After I signed up to be notified of postings into several topics, all I have received so far from them was mass advertising for "download cracked software", "paypal says its real", "how to hack yahoo passwords" and a list of other crap.

As I stated in my previous post, I have repeatedly attempted to contact the management of this forum and all attempts have resulted in mail being returned "undeliverable." or when I did track down a valid email address, no one has returned contact.

I figured that I did not want to waste my time with something if it is not being managed properly by the powers that be. Why should I invest my time if they are not ?

I received a post the other day that I thought was borderline fraud, but likely illegal. I do some "janitorial" work for yahoo and since all attempts to contact management here failed, I contacted Yahoo abuse to inform them that there were dozens, possibly hundreds of ads on here using email addresses linked to them, and told them the same thing, that all attempts to contact management here failed.
    2 days later this site went down.

Then, just the other day, I got yet another "paypal says it works" ad from this site. So I came to check it out to see if the site was back up.

And what a surprise. The post that I received the notice for was already deleted. That users account was deleted, and I could no longer find any posts in any of the forums regarding illegal software, hacks, paypal, scams or otherwise. My assumption is that Yahoo may have been able to accomplish what I have not been able to and at least give management a good "here's the way it is" speech.

Regardless if it was yahoo, or simply the management here finally got around to doing their job, now the board is clean, and it looks like it is being maintained. As long as it stay that way, I will support it and post more actual content to help out others.

Now if you would like to review other forums where I post content, you may do a search of the user "kropes" on any of these.
    http://forums.webhostautomation.com/
    http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/
    http://forums.globalscape.com/

As I have a full time job and in addition run a company, this forum is not my highest priority. However if made a moderator, I will invest time into it to make sure it stays clean.

Now that I have provided you much needed information so you can make an unbiased evaluation, if you care to make me a moderator, fine, if not, fine.. just keep the board clean of all of the crap.

I will take seriously however the one part of your comment about my signature. It is a bit much, but that is what I created the first day I created the account. I will tone it down a bit.

Thank you for the opportunity to clear up any misunderstanding.
    Providing Technology services to non profit orgs, Homeless Shelters, Food Pantries, Clean And Sober Houses and more.

Kropes, we get a lot of spammers on here. Some obvious, and some devious.
    So bookmark this thread. And one year from now, if you are still posting on this forum and have been a valuable asset to this on-line community, bump it to the top and thumb your nose at me, and I will eat the egg off my face and be glad to be proved wrong.

Deal?

blindman

sign me up so i can help
    Thanks for your offer, Curtis.

I think all blindman was saying is, "But we don't know you."

Obviously, post count and join date aren't indicative of a person's character or ability. But, it is the only way members of a community can gain trust of an individual.

Although I applaud you for your insight into recognizing some of the problems we face here, I must agree with blindman and hope that you contact us again after you've spent some time here.

was the forum UPgraded or DOWNgraded?
    There are some template files that need to be updated yet. We'll get them sorted out.

We need all of the "eyes and ears" we can find, and that isn't likely to change any time I can imagine... However, DBForums has gone from effectively no moderation to a great plenty of moderators effectively overnight, and we need some time to sort things out amongst ourselves...

As you probably know from the other online communities that you've helped with, anytime you significantly re-arrange the makeup of either the site itself, the content contributors, or the administrators you introduce a bit of instability. DBForums has had a significant change in both site software and moderation in the past week. There has been a significant change in content providers (in terms of forum contributors) over the last few months, but we can probably turn that back around.

Please bear with us while we sort things out. I really appreciate your offer, but right now I think we've got our hands full. As SoftWareReview pointed out, most of the folks that have jumped in are longtime associates and friends. We know each other well, and know this site intimately. While "new blood" is definitely a good thing, right now we've got a lot of rebuilding and other issues... Given a month or two I suspect that we'll probably be much more receptive.

-PatP

If it wasn't for the signatures you would swear Blindman and Pat were the same person, you really would.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    If it wasn't for the signatures you would swear Blindman and Pat were the same person, you really would.
    Egad! Blindman should beat you for saying such an awful thing about him!

-PatP

OK ... OK ...I agree I had left the site to die its slow excruciating death ... it seems now that the site has come out of its self induced coma.

It seems that the people are coming back ... and many have been made moderators ... congrats to pat, brett, blindman and all those of you who have taken the responsibility to bring this site back to what it was.

If this is where everybody would like to stay ... I would too ... hanging around here till my other project attains maturity.

Thanks to Dennis for bringing about this change.
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    Thanks for your offer, Curtis.
    Obviously, post count and join date aren't indicative of a person's character or ability.
    yep i agree.
    After all.. you only had like 30 when i wrote in and your in charge of everything.

in any case...
    i made my offer, i typically dont repeat offers at any level, it sounds to much like begging. i know what my intentions were and i dont like having to try to explain them. if your interested at some point, your aware i am willing to do it.

i do have some suggestions though on how to handle a few things.
    i am hopnig that you have the archives of the original data along with the IP addresses of the people that spammed the site. you might want to consider making a blacklist of IP's and prevent them from even viewing the site, or at least modify it so they cant even create an account here.

prevention is the best medecine

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hmmm...has anybody ever seen as both post at the same time?

Suspicious....

blindman