Unanswered: Tickling a comment out of Teddy (XML)

Hi Teddy

Your auspicious name came up here re XML exports from Access to be viewed in Excel. Looks really interesting.

The gist of the confab was:
    Izy propossed XML export (incl formatting) for viewing in Excel (incl an interesting brainstorm re automated formatting based on manual formatting by the users).
    I asked if to write this XML file you would need to iterate each and every value (No. rows * No. columns) and write it to the file. A problem for me as some reports are pretty deep and failry wide.
    I was referred onto you as resident expert.

Do you have any references or anything I can look at to get a deeper insight?

Cheers
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    The short answer is you can indeed specify an xsd for your xml exports under the "More Options" button. If you're utilizing xml for reports, you will probably require a specific xsd for each report, as they are going to be in different formats.

Remember, xml is just a data transport structure. You can use it just like you would use an RDBMS as far as logical design goes. That includes definitions for report design elements etc... it all depends on what you tell the xsd to store...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Cheers Teddy

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Remember, xml is just a data transport structure.
    That was my (limited) understanding of XML too - it should be format independent - hence the XSD thought. I guess it is worth investigating. In fact, this would be a nice, gentle introduction to XML (ready for progression to .NET, SQL 2005 etc) in a context I understand.

BTW - are you sure it is like an RDBMS? I thought XMLs principal limiting factor was that it was hierarchical? Great for moving data about from one app to another but not so hot as a persistant data store.

BTW(2) - what ungodly time of the day do you start working? Perhaps I have the time diff wrong but isn't it around 5:30 for you?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

You can use it just like you would use an RDBMS
    <>
    Quote Originally Posted by Poots
    are you sure it is like an RDBMS?
    Duh - sorry. Took you a bit literally there.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    BTW(2) - what ungodly time of the day do you start working? Perhaps I have the time diff wrong but isn't it around 5:30 for you?
    It was a late night.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

The short answer is you can indeed specify an xsd for your xml exports under the "More Options" button.
    I don't seem to have one.... I am currently limited to XP though. Where should I be looking?

Many Thanks
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump