Unanswered: Text Box Problem In Access Report

Hello all.

I have run into a problem with an Access 2003 Report that I'm working on. Here is what I am doing. I have several linked tables in Access pointing to a SQL instance. I then am running a query off those linked tables. In some cases, some of the fields in the tables are quite long, over 3000 characters. The query handles these just fine. I have verified in the DataSheet View in my query that all 3000+ characters are there, and there is no truncation.

Lastly, I created a Text Box in my report, and set its Data Control Source to that field in my query. Here is where the truncation begins. I only get the first 256 characters of that 3000+ character query field.

I ran into the problem once before, however, I was using local tables, and was able to change the table field from text to memo, and that attribute change seemed to carry through to the report, and I was able to get greater than 256 characters in my report text box. However, I can not change the table field from text to memo, as I'm using linked tables to a SQL instance.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very confused. I know that Access Report Text Boxes are capable of handling greater 256 characters, and I also know that my query is handling that amount fine too. I just can't figure out how to get the report text box to not truncate. Please help. Thanks for reading all of this.

Jnuw

Quote Originally Posted by jnuw
    Hello all.

I have run into a problem with an Access 2003 Report that I'm working on. Here is what I am doing. I have several linked tables in Access pointing to a SQL instance. I then am running a query off those linked tables. In some cases, some of the fields in the tables are quite long, over 3000 characters. The query handles these just fine. I have verified in the DataSheet View in my query that all 3000+ characters are there, and there is no truncation.

Lastly, I created a Text Box in my report, and set its Data Control Source to that field in my query. Here is where the truncation begins. I only get the first 256 characters of that 3000+ character query field.

I ran into the problem once before, however, I was using local tables, and was able to change the table field from text to memo, and that attribute change seemed to carry through to the report, and I was able to get greater than 256 characters in my report text box. However, I can not change the table field from text to memo, as I'm using linked tables to a SQL instance.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm very confused. I know that Access Report Text Boxes are capable of handling greater 256 characters, and I also know that my query is handling that amount fine too. I just can't figure out how to get the report text box to not truncate. Please help. Thanks for reading all of this.

Jnuw
    I presumed you set the format property of the text box in your report form to "Can Grow"

Hi fredservillon. Yes, I have both "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" turned on. I have also checked 3 or 4 different report text boxes, each linked to different query fields, and they all are truncating at exactly 256 characters. Thanks for the thought though.

Jnuw

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi fredservillon. Yes, I have both "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink" turned on. I have also checked 3 or 4 different report text boxes, each linked to different query fields, and they all are truncating at exactly 256 characters. Thanks for the thought though.

Jnuw

What kind of file is this? ADP, MDB?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    What kind of file is this? ADP, MDB?
    Hi Teddy. Everything (link tables, queries, report) is in an MDB.

Jnuw
    Since text box has inherent limit to 256 char, you can try inserting a word pad object and link the datas source to your field query.

Quote Originally Posted by fredservillon
    Since text box has inherent limit to 256 char, you can try inserting a word pad object and link the datas source to your field query.
    Thanks for your suggestion fredservillon. I'm not sure how to link the data source of the word pad object to my field query. Could you tell me what to enter into what line in the object properties. My query is called UberQuery, and one of the fields I need is called Expr7.

Also, I am wondering if this word pad object will be able to "Can Shrink", as not all records have a value in Expr7, so if they don't, I would like it to be able to shrink. Thanks so much for your help.

Here is what's really killing me. I appears to me that a Report Text Box does not by itself have a 256 character limit. Start a new Access DB (MDB), make a table that has one field (plus key), and set that field to type Memo. Fill that field with a couple thousand characters. Then make a query off that field, and finally make a report that pulls in the query data. You not get any truncation, all the characters will be there.

Since my data is making it from the linked sql db, to my query intacted (no truncation), I just need to tell my report text box, by some other means than the table field type, not to truncate at 256. Any ideas? Thanks everyone for your time and patience.

Jnuw

OK...I think I figured it out. By only (and I mean only) moving the report text box out of a Header I was using, and into the Detail, the 256 character limitation was eliminated. I guess a report text box in a report header has that limitation for what ever reason... good times.

Now if any of you know how to add the "Can Shrink" setting/attribute to an inserted object that may or may not display a bitmap, that would be really great!

Thanks all for your thoughts and input.

Jnuw

Provided Answers: 1
    Dynamic images are almost easier to handle in the onformat event of the section in which they appear. I hate finagling embedded OLE objects...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

OK...I think I figured it out. By only (and I mean only) moving the report text box out of a Header I was using, and into the Detail, the 256 character limitation was eliminated. I guess a report text box in a report header has that limitation for what ever reason... good times.

Now if any of you know how to add the "Can Shrink" setting/attribute to an inserted object that may or may not display a bitmap, that would be really great!

Thanks all for your thoughts and input.

Jnuw
    DO this..Start a new report, but this time use the wizard.."Create report by using wizard". Follow through and pick your query source and pick that particular field, then finish and preview.
    This will automatically create a bound object to your field without limit to characters. Go back to design view and adjust the text box size and populate with other fields you want to display in report.
    I just tried and it worked.