Unanswered: Using combo boxes to Lookup values in table

Hi all,

I have a question on what seems to be an easy task. I need the code for Visual Basic to lookup values in a table using a combo box.

I have an Access Database with a Department table in it. What would be the code to tell VB to select all values in flddepartment from tbldepartment? I am using VB 6.0 and Access 2000.

Thanks,
    JC

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jcoe
    Hi all,

I have a question on what seems to be an easy task. I need the code for Visual Basic to lookup values in a table using a combo box.

I have an Access Database with a Department table in it. What would be the code to tell VB to select all values in flddepartment from tbldepartment? I am using VB 6.0 and Access 2000.

Thanks,
    JC
    SQLStatement = "SELECT * From tbldepartment WHERE flddepartment ='" & cbodepartment.text & "'"

Thanks for the post Fredservillon, but can you please explain further? I don't believe I need a WHERE statement because I want to select all rows in tbldepartment. Also, do I need to give the combo box some properties to find the database? I have a data control but it is set to sort on record. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    JC

Wink

Ok, Assuming yur fldDeprtment records are unique you can use Data COmbo object for your drop down list.
    This will give a drop down list of department names from your department table for user to select. I hope that's what you meant

Code:
    Set adoDepartment = New Recordset
    With adoDepartment
    .Open "SELECT fldDepartment FROM tblDepartment", CNN, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic
    Set dbcDepartment.RowSource = adoDepartment
    dbcDepartment.ListField = "fldDepartment"

end with
    Last edited by fredservillon; 01-18-06 at 22:40.