Unanswered: User Security on Network Drive

I have read many of the posts regarding security, but it's a new year so I think I'll start fresh...

I need to have multiple users access my DB which resides on a shared network drive (U:\) One group needs full data access and another just needs read-only.

Some users have Access 2000, others have Access 2003. I tried the Security Wizard option with workgroups, but it's not practical for me to visit each PC to adjust the shortcut.

Unless there are other ideas, I'm assuming that my best option is to create my own login form to manage access and rights.

Questions:
    1) Has anyone else done this and, if so, do you have a sample I could see?
    2) I'm ok with creating the log in form, but how do I take that information and pass it on to the other forms to dictate whether it is a read-only or full access user?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Provided Answers: 59
    I'd suggest your network trolls install a remote configuration tool - forget the name of it but from your workstation you can configure any remote device.

alternatively get a 'decent' network OS - we rolled out a hybrid Access application on Netware and were able to alter profiles remotely using some magic within Zen

You could send the desktop shortcut as a batch file & gewt your users to copy that batch file to the desktop - might send soem anti virus packages ape though....

failing that its invest some shoe leather and get mobile

Thank you for the suggestion, but configuring each PC is not really an option in my situation. I guess I just need assistance with setting up internal security within the database.

I created a User table with LoginID, Username, Password, and Security Level and a Rights Table with LevelID, Security Level (Link to User Table) and Access Rights (Admin, Full Edit and Read Only)

I have a simple Login Form which checks the Username and Password and then allows me to continue, but I'm not exactly sure how to take it the next step and set say Read Only rights to the forms based on their login.

Ideas??

Provided Answers: 59
    The most straightforward approach would be to depoy your app as an MDE - so users can't se the design data and circumvent any security you set up.

use the users network logon, rather than an Access currentuser() logon.
    have a table within the application that stores users, a table that stores gropus and a table that maps a user to group.

put some code in the form / reports on open event and check if that the specified member is part of the specified group. This could be in a separate JET database (MDB) tied down with passwords so that users can't open it.

however you are still exposed in as much as it is realtively easy for a knowledgable user to introduce new users/groups etc. It can be done gbut its a great deal of effort to try to plug the holes in plain vanilla Access.

HTH

Just an update..

My solution to this was not perfect, but it was simple. I went ahead with using the Security Wizard and allowed it to create a shortcut for me. Since I'm using Access 2000, I had the proper mapping for all end users with this version. I copied the shortcut and modified the second one to work with Access 2003. The only difference is the location of the msaccess.exe file. So they both point to the same security file, just routed through the right Microsoft Office folder. The users just have to know what version they are using and can copy that shortcut to their PC.

Provided Answers: 8
    What I do is I map the tables by the

pointing to the server by

\\ServerName\Database$\data.mdb

the $ make the folder hidden

that they can't see they can't delete..
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Provided Answers: 8
    What I do is I map the tables by the

pointing to the server by

\\ServerName\Database$\data.mdb

the $ make the folder hidden

that they can't see they can't delete..
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.