Question Unanswered: install PostGreSQL without installer

Hi guys,
    if i copy Mysql folder and setup .ini file and run install_MysqlService then i have mysql running on localhost, so my q. is can i install the same way postgre, what i meen is can i copy some folder to new PC and run PG as service without using win. installer??
    thanks.

Others may be better versed on this than me. I'm sure you can manually install PostgreSQL, but I don't think it is that easy. I know that PostgreSQL puts some files in the Windows/System32 directory, for example. You can certainly run PostgreSQL as a service in Windows, so it automatically starts when called. You can also run it on a separate machine, in which case you wouldn't access it as a service but rather through ODBC. btw, the PostgreSQL install process goes pretty smoothly and doesn't take very long, if that helps.

Thanks ByteRyder52,
    its not a problem if i have to copy some files into win dir, i can do that, the problem is (scenario)
    i install into my PC postgre as service and i have lets say database "bobo" so now i wonna install to ather mashin, can i copy the postgre dir (programfiles/postgre8.1/ etc.) to ather mashin in same dir, and run the service or ther is security ID's abonded to my pc?? And which files are holding info about server? (like my.cnf in mysql)?
    Last edited by gev; 01-18-06 at 14:51.

Provided Answers: 12
    If you want two databases (and two services), you don't need to copy the program directory. You need to do an initdb to initialize the data directory (obviously somewhere else then the first one).

Then when you create the second service (pointing to the existing binaries) you simply pass the path to the new data directory (-D "path_to_data_dir_used_for_initdb")

That should do it.

As far as I know the PG Installer does not copy anything to the windows directory.

No i don't wonna create 2nd service actuali i wonna unattended installation of postgreSQL! So that i can make selfinstalling script or some to install postgre with lets say servise name = "blabla" password = "bla" user="postgres" userpassword = "blabla" automatic.
    So that no user interaction needed to install it.

A couple of additional comments. First, my installation of PostgreSQL does have two files in Windows/System32 - libpq.dll and libintl-2.dll. It may be that these were put there by PG Lightning Admin rather than the PostgreSQL installer, but I recall Tony Caduto (developer of PG Lightning Admin) commenting that this is where Windows looks for dll's first. Also, some information regarding installing PostgreSQL as a service is in Chapter 15 of the version 8.1.2 manual. btw, it mentions there that libpq.dll should be in the Windows directory.

Anyway, with the info from the manual, hopefully you can make some progress on the issue.

Thumbs up

Thanks boddy's i found it,
    its col silent install

I have the same problem, could you explain it gev?
    how did you copy and paste postgresql then run it?
    what configurations needed?
    thx in advance

Ref post #8 in the PostgreSQL FAQ at the top of this forum.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert