Thumbs up Unanswered: Dbase and Access problems

I got a strange problem. If I am in the incorrect forum, let me know.

My Access 2002 was handling dbase files normally until 1 day ago. I was able to import dbase files and open already-linked dbase files without any problem. Now I can't.

Everytime I try to open an already-linked dbase file, Access just shuts down/closes...without any errors.

When I try to link to a dbase file I get the 'select index files' dialog. Whether I have an index file or not, Access shuts down/closes...without any errors.

When I use another coworker's machine for the same database(s), everything works smoothly. So the problem is localized to my machine.

I tried reinstalling Office, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by whiteway; 01-20-06 at 07:59.

gosh! dBase - that takes me back to dBase under CP/M on my Sharp 8MHz Z80 machine with (gasp!) dual floppy drive.
    "Suzy" (for that was her name) cost around ten times as much as the portable i'm tapping on now.
    ...and then the 70s rudely became the 80s.

anyhow - did you try deleting ALL the dBase linked stuff (delete the linked stuff in Access, not the real .DBx of course!!) and then relinking?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by whiteway
    I got a strange problem. If I am in the incorrect forum, let me know.

My Access 2002 was handling dbase files normally until 1 day ago. I was able to import dbase files and open already-linked dbase files without any problem. Now I can't.

Everytime I try to open an already-linked dbase file, Access just shuts down/closes...without any errors.

When I try to link to a dbase file I get the 'select index files' dialog. Whether I have an index file or not, Access shuts down/closes...without any errors.

When I use another coworker's machine for the same database(s), everything works smoothly. So the problem is localized to my machine.

I tried reinstalling Office, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
    Is your co-worker's computer and yours are in the same network and you are pointing to the same database?
    Index file are related to your database. DId you try repair and compact? Use the JETCOMP.Exe if you can't open it.

Yes, it didn't work

I am unsure if my past post went thru...experiencing problems with the dbforums.

Anyway, I did you the same .mdb and same linked .dbf files on my coworkers computer. Yes we are on the same network and the problem occurs both on and off the network.

LIke izyrider states, remove all the links and then re-index your dbase files.

I just removed the dbf link, reindex my .dbf file and tried linking again. However, as before, I am able to select the dbase file and select the index, but when I hit the close button, Access shuts down without error.

I also compacted the database...didn't work.

Could my jet engine be corrupt?

Provided Answers: 59
    could be
    can you diagnose what might have happened to break it?
    have your network trolls applied some system level patch that has caused problems?
    is the problem in both machines.
    is it a memory / hardware problem in one of the machines
    is it posible that you have a compilation error causing a fault in the code execution
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by whiteway
    I also compacted the database...didn't work.

Could my jet engine be corrupt?
    Did you remove OFFICE before re-installing? Whatever dll's associated must be corrupted and just re-installing may not be replaced the file with new copy. I would recommend uninstall and totally remove Office, then reboot computer, then install Office again.

First, thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. The comments actually help get me to narrow in on some things.

I think I have the problem solved - I installed the BDE. I am unsure if this engine was present before I had problems.

The BDE is on some coworkers computers and not on others. Either way, they had no problem opening/linking dbase files. If BDE is present on the machine, Access uses the BDE engine by default (I think). If BDE is present on the machine, but you want to use the Microsoft Jet Engine (MJE) , you can change your registry to make this happen. Perhaps my register was like this prior to the problem?

If the BDE is used to work with the dbf files you get the 'find the index' dialog; however if you use the MJE, the dialog does not pop up (from what I am reading).