Question Unanswered: Delete BOTH matching records

I am trying to create some reports using our invoice history files. The database has two nearly identical records. The first is an "I"nvoice record (same customer number, same apply-to number) and the second is a "P"ayment or "C"redit, with the same customer no. and same apply-to but the dollar amount is exactly opposite (-12.34 vs. 12.34). The two (or more, in the case of multiple partial payments) records net to zero.

I can easily find the duplicates or use an aggregate query and find the records that net to zero, but how do I delete both records? If the item is paid, I want to kill both records - so that it doesn't clog up the tables and slow everything down. I only want to work with open, unpaid invoices.

Creating a delete query by matching the data table with the summation query won't work - the records are always locked and won't allow deletion.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Matt

Provided Answers: 1
    What you're describing sounds pretty damn scary. Unless you're dealing with a few thousand records, I would be retaining your data.

Have a look at "cascading updates/deletes". It will point you in the right direction if you really want to go that route.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Don't worry, the table I'm using is an imported copy (non-linked) of the original. I want to get rid of the superflous data asap to speed up the app. '

Not familiar w/ 'cascading updates/deletes.' I'll look for that. Thank you for the lead.

Matt