Unanswered: Access - using control button to open a file outside the Access Database

Hi

I was wondering if there is a way for me use a command button to open a file that is stored externally to Access. I have managed to do this for Word and Excel, but am struggling to control the opening of images that are stored in directories (to help control the size of the database).,

I have a field called 'location of files' (which is the directory that the images are stored in) and a field called 'Filename' (which has the filename and extensions (e.g. case1.jpg).

I would like my command button to concatenate the two fields (E.g. [location of files] & [filename]) and to open it in the users default software that is associated to the file type (such as photoshop).

Any ideas on how best to achieve this?

Thanks
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by marksabin
    Hi

I was wondering if there is a way for me use a command button to open a file that is stored externally to Access. I have managed to do this for Word and Excel, but am struggling to control the opening of images that are stored in directories (to help control the size of the database).,

I have a field called 'location of files' (which is the directory that the images are stored in) and a field called 'Filename' (which has the filename and extensions (e.g. case1.jpg).

I would like my command button to concatenate the two fields (E.g. [location of files] & [filename]) and to open it in the users default software that is associated to the file type (such as photoshop).

Any ideas on how best to achieve this?

Thanks
    Mark
    Did you try Insert-Hyperlink in Form design mode? Not sure if that's all you needed.

Talking

Thanks for the hint Fred. Solution:-

Private Sub Command197_Click()

If IsNull([filename]) Then Exit Sub

FollowHyperlink ([location of files] & [Filename])
    End Sub
    Last edited by marksabin; 01-24-06 at 06:35.

Uff, an old post one :P
    Did you gain your aim?
    Last edited by DakDarie; 02-14-06 at 08:22.