Unanswered: Identify version of a source file

Does anybody know how to identify the version of an application a file was created in using code?

For example, I'd like to be able to use code to check a Word document and see what version of Word it was created in.

tc

Provided Answers: 1
    Depends on if the parent application supports automation. In Word's case, you can use Application.Version
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks! True enough if the parent application resides on the same computer.

In my case, I have a program that will be running on a variety of workstations and will be working with various file formats (PDF, DOC, XLS and SNP) from a variety of sources.

About the only constant is they're all windows machines (NT, 2000 or XP) and they all have the same version of Access. They have every version of Office from 8 to 11, however.

Before working with a file, I check to see if the host PC has the appropiate parent application and if so, what version it is by checking the registry, but the missing piece here is what version created the file.

Right now, I limp along by error trapping: if the user has Office 2K (ver 9) and an error is generated when opening the file, I assume the file is from a newer version, although this isn't always the case.

I checked through MSDN and found little of value .....

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't think that's possible. The system itself has no way of knowing what version a particular file was created under. The only way to know is to open the file and check its format. The only way to do that is if you have access to the application.

I can't think of any other way...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

If you wan't to check version without having the application installed, you would have to know the ins and outs of each file format (and each *version* of each file format) at binary level to do this. Agree with Teddy in that this just doesn't seem feasible.

Bummer. I was hoping for a flag somewhere in the file that identifies what version appication it was created in. Guess I'll have to rely on error trapping and message boxes that suggest the user bug their IT folks for more up to date software!

thanks,
    tc