Unanswered: Selecting Records to Update

I have a form I use to update records. It is currently set up as a combo box with two fields: Name and vistit date. The combo box is sorted by name, then you have scroll down to select the name with the visit date you want. This works fine, however with a list of approx 5,000 names it takes time. Is there another way to do this. I would like to select by name and visit date.

Type the name into the combo box and it will find it quicker than scrolling.
    For example if your clients name was Harrision as soon as you type H access will display the first name that startes with H(which may be Harrision).

Also I use a module to Fast-Scroll a combo box that is linked to 15,000 records and it works fine. It is not my work, however if you want a copy post back.
    Regards,

John A

I understand the combo. My combo consists of name and visit date. I currently have 150-200 of the same name with differents dates(i.e., smith, john 1/1/2005, smith, john 2/1/2005).

If you have ONE name with MANY dates then I think that you need a Main form for the Names and a SubForm for the dates.

You should only have to enter the name into the database ONCE.
    Regards,

John A

Provided Answers: 59
    to reduce the number you could consider using 2 combo boxes
    the first one contains the person, the second (disabled untill a name is selected contains the dates for that person)
    force a refresh of the dates combo on change of person
    if you write a function to check the state of the name combo, and take appropriate action if it has a value or not
    place a call to that function in the forms "on current event", the name combo's on change / on click events
    assuming htat the person id is the bound column in the names combo

cbPersonsDates.rowsource = "select <mycolumnlist> from <mydatetable> where <mypersonidcolumn>=cbpersons.value

id suggedst you make sure that both combos are limited to thos in list (ie it has to be a valid personid
    just a thought
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Created both combo boxes. The date combo is first then I select the name. When I input the name the record is not pulled. The cursor goes back to the date combo box.

Provided Answers: 59
    so what code have you put behind the combo boxes to do anything
    how does access know what records are menat to be extracted and presented
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton