I have a box running SUSE, and it has MySQL Max installed on it, as it's due for some clustering. I believe it may have had non-MAX mysql installed previously, but I didn't perform either install, so am not sure.

I got the cluster running on friday, and all seemed well, however, it seems that localhost users cannot connect to the database at all, and receive an error

"ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)"

I can, however, connect remotely, using both the CLI, and the MysQL GUI tools.

when using the gui tools, I can see the list of users, but when trying to view each one, the gui reports "Error while fetching User information: The user may have been deleted" I know this is not the case, as I can see the users in the mysql.user table.

Also, when running a process check, I see both mysqld_safe and mysqld-max are running.

root 9041 1 0 10:26 pts/2 00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/development.pid
mysql 9065 9041 0 10:26 pts/2 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld-max --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/development.pid --skip-locking

if I kill both, and restart using "/etc/init.d/mysql start" then both reappear.

Also, when viewing a clustered database table I created last week I got an "error while unpacking from storage engine" error, and trying to drop the same database results in a "table_name doesn't exist" (or similar) although I can again see the table, althought not query it.

this is really getting my head in a twist.

Can anyone assist in untangling this lot, or would it be better to delete and reinstall MySQL from scratch?

it's a new development box, so it's not life threatening if that is the case.

Thanks

a