Thread: SQL Compare

Unanswered: SQL Compare

Can you please help me figure out the best SQL Compare (structure and data) tool in the market.

Thanks,
    Saurav

Provided Answers: 6
    I have not really used anything else but I am working on a project with Embarcadero Change Manager and I have to say that I was not pleased with the output file to "fix" all of the changes. Before I started changing the fix file, there were some syntax serrors, and there were some errors because objects with dependencies on each other were not dropped in the right order.

When it has to recreate a table, say because it has to change the data type of the primary key, it renames the exisiting table, creates a new one and moves the data over but it keeps the renamed tables in the db which balloons the size of the database, so I have gone through and created transactions around the tables and if the insert does not error, it drops the renamed tables.

So far this thing is 38,000+ lines long and it is still not quite right.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by sajmera
    Can you please help me figure out the best SQL Compare (structure and data) tool in the market.

Thanks,
    Saurav
    I have only worked with SQL Compare (and its companion SQL Data Compare). I like the interface, speed and the results. Very positive overall.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I like to build my own....why what are you tasked to do?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 6
    Yeah I was about to build my own by comparing the system tables but I got the "why reinvent the wheel thing". I would have probably been done with this by now. That's why...
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I had to say SQL Delta: http://www.sqldelta.com/

it's simple to use, and you can either make the merge or generate the sql script then change it.

ApexSQLDiff www.apexsql.com

compare data only

if you just want to compare data and not structure try:

http://www.getfirefly.net/

what's nice is that it doesn't limit you to a certain db like oracle or sql server and you can compare data returned from views or your own custom sql statement.

Quote Originally Posted by jajknight
    if you just want to compare data and not structure try:

http://www.getfirefly.net/

what's nice is that it doesn't limit you to a certain db like oracle or sql server and you can compare data returned from views or your own custom sql statement.
    jajknight,

I downloaded and installed firefly. I'm receiving an invalid license file error when I launch it. Did you run into this problem?

uninstall it and then re-download from the website. The copy protection I was using sucks so I changed it. I wrote the tool because I was doing Minus queries and getting the data that didn't match but when there are thousands of rows that don't match it's near impossible to manually go through them and see what actual fields don't match. Let me know if you have any other problems.
    thanks,
    James

I'm still having the same problem. FYI, I'm not using the default install directory.

uninstall, clear out your browser cache and give it one more try. Where you install it shouldn't matter. I think you may have downloaded the old file since my ftp transfer failed initially. Also, it will only allow one use as a trial so don't close it until you're ready to. Feel free to email me if you run into any issues or with feedback - good or bad any feedback is great. Like i said i wrote it to help me find what actual data elements are different at the field level between two sql statements so hopefully it will help others in similar circumstances. thanks, James (knightconsulting@gmail.com)