Thread: Data Validation

Unanswered: Data Validation

I'm relatively new so bare with me. I am importing data from excel into Access for reporting purposes. The problem is I need to write something into the process to ensure that all the records in Excel imported properly (for SOX auditing purposes). Does anyone have a suggestion?

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    Don't know much about Sorbonne Oxely but; what actually are you trying to audit
    number of recrods, sum of values

does it need to be automated - could you do a simple manual process. run some queries agains tthe data imported (you would need to know what hasbeen imported (a time of import or record numbner would be a good start)

Can you do some simple comparions between the Excel and Access data.

Historically on this sort of task I prefer reading and processing each row from a recordset within Access, doing any validation, taking a decision on whether any errors justify rejecting the record, or the batch.

I suppose it depends how often you are going to do this task as to whhether its worht doing that.

Mind you if your bean counters are that concerned about data security then what on earth are they doing using Excel for data capture and Access (JET) to store the data - either product isn't safe or secure....
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Data Validation

I guess I need to add something to verify each step. I am at step 1. So I just imported all the records from Excel into Access. (The reason is we get Excel reports from our ERP software that cannot be modified. We have to manipulate and get the data to where we need it to be in Access and then produce that in Excel for import into another accounting package. Interesting, huh?. ) Anyway, I need to make sure all the records imported. Thanks for helping. I just started here and I have to learn Access this week.
    Last edited by mlkallam; 01-26-06 at 11:40.

The Bottom of The Barrel
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkallam
    I just started here and I have to learn Access this week.
    Hah! That's like learning basic SQL Server concepts in one week, a lot of people don't realize it really has nothing in common with excel and cannot be picked up nearly as fast.

In any event, how are you importing your data? You can define specific import formats in the advanced section of the "import data" function, then save them for later use. Alternately you could use ADO/DAO to make a real-time connection, that might be a little overkill.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Sorry if I offended anyone by saying I had to learn Access in a week. I came from the automotive industry and I have done some programming mainly SQL 7 and Delphi. I certainly wasn't implying Access is that easy to learn. If it was, I wouldn't be here posting a question. I don't have a lot of time to spend learning on my own, so I came here for help.