Unanswered: Multi-user database slow when connecting

I inherited an application that was originally written in Access 2.0. I upgraded the application and made some changes. The way it was setup to work (from the beginning) was the program files were in an mdb file called qts1.mdb. All of the data is in another mdb called qtsdata.mdb. Originally, the program files were located on the pc running from the runtime version of Access. The tables were linked from qtsdata and it resides on the server.

Since I have upgraded it to run in the latest version of Access, I set it up the same way, the program files are on the local pc's and the data resides on the server in an Access mdb. When the program is opened by the first user, the application loads very quickly, however when anyone else opens their application from their pc (while someone is also using the tables), it takes about a minute (0r it seems like it) for the application to open.

My question is, is there some setting in Access that I need to change that makes the linking process faster for multiple users? Or does the qtsdata.mdb need to be somehow defined as "multi-user"?

Thanks,
    SBR

You should check the Options ( from the Tools menu ). The Default Open Mode should be set to Shared, and the Default record locking set to Shared.

Start with this and see what happens

Thanks for your reply. My Default Open mode is set to "Shared". The Default Record Locking options are "No Locks" (which is what it is set to), "all records", and "Edited Records". There is also a checkbox below it that is checked that says "Open databases using record-level locking.

Are these record locking settings correct?

Thanks,

SBR

Quote Originally Posted by sbr7770
    Thanks for your reply. My Default Open mode is set to "Shared". The Default Record Locking options are "No Locks" (which is what it is set to), "all records", and "Edited Records". There is also a checkbox below it that is checked that says "Open databases using record-level locking.

Are these record locking settings correct?

Thanks,

SBR
    The Default Record Locking should be Edited Record