Question Unanswered: Oracle 8i REFRENCE CURSORS

Hello,

Oracle 8i does not runs on windows 2003 server. How can I make Oracle 8i to run on windows 2003 server. Or do I need windows 2000 server

How do you use REFRENCE CURSORS and QUERY Optimization, and how to override the Query engine in Oracle 8i ?

Please advice,

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >and how to override the Query engine in Oracle 8i ?
    By using "strings" & "grep" utilities on the raw Oracle datafiles.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

and how to override the Query engine in Oracle 8i ?
    By using "strings" & "grep" utilities on the raw Oracle datafiles.
    ***Thank you

How about the oracle 8i installation on Windows 2003 or windows XP ?.
    when I try to install it on Server 2003 or XP it says this version requires service pack 4 or higher. Actually I have oracle 9i but this job requires
    oracle 8i.

Please Advice,

Thank you,
    Awab

Why does it say SP4 for XP? There isn't an SP4. Cant you just install SP4 for Server 2k3?
    "I hate quotes, tell me what you know"

Provided Answers: 4
    Oracle 8i is a product which is no longer supported by Oracle corp. As you already have 9i, why don't you install this version? And what do you mean by saying that "this job requires 8i"? What does 8i have and 9i does not have so that you need to install 8i?

Question Installation of Oracle 8i on Windows 2000 workstation

Thanks for the help

I Installed Windows 2000 workstation when I click on set up icon of the oracle 8i Enterprise edition the installation icon comes up when I click on the install and de-install products it won't do anything. I also copied the 8i enterprise edition on c: drive still the setup won't do anything if I run it from there please help.

Thank you,

Awab

Oracle 8i installation has its issues ... try to follow this instructions and see will they help.

1. Create a temporary directory on your server.
    2. Copy the entire contents of the Oracle RDBMS Server CD to the temporary directory created in step 1.
    3. Search the directory structure created in Step 1 for the existence of the filename symcjit.dll.
    4. Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
    5. Run the setup.exe from the install\win32 directory (under the directory on your hard disk used in Step 1) and install Oracle 8.1.x and related products

Question Oracle 8i Successful install - Problem with connection with database

Thank you I was able to load oracle 8i on windows 2000 workstation
    buy renaming that .dll file to .old file. Now i am having a problem with connection to database when I goto Oracle Directory manager
    Username : TEST-G9WLE7ATIL
    Password : Password
    Server : Oracle8I
    Port : 389

It gives me error "Server is not up and running Oracle8I:389

In Windows administration services I see that OracleServiceOracle8I has started and is running.

What am I doing wrong over here ?

Please advice,

Awab
    awabkhan@hotmail.com

Honestly, no idea ... however, actual error code (something like ORA-01400) would be easier to track than the message text.

There's one thing that seems unusual to me (which does NOT mean that this really IS unusual): port number. Is it 389? Oracle is usually (at least, what I call "usually") installed on port 1521 (unless you specify a different port). Does this make any sense in your case? Could you check this?

P.S. Usually, I don't use the word "usually" more than six times in one post