Lightbulb Unanswered: searching the line + next 20 lines

Hello Friends

I want to search a pattern in a simple file in UNIX. I can use the grep command for this but I want to get the search-pattern line and the next 20 lines redirected in some other file. Is there any option in grep or some other way through which I can get the output.

You can do this with sed or awk. I have always preferred awk to sed, but I think it might be easier to do this one in sed.

Code:
       sed -n -e '/pattern/,+20p' file
    should do what you want.

Unhappy Not working

:-)

bsfbl85:/oq/logs/batch/dl_hist>sed -n -e '/BA7400A/ ,+20p' uoq1002.scriptlog.20060129
    Unrecognized command: /BA7400A/ ,+20p
    bsfbl85:/oq/logs/batch/dl_hist>sed -n -e '/BA7400A/,+20p' uoq1002.scriptlog.20060129
    sed: command garbled: /BA7400A/,+20p

Sorry the command is not working. Am i doing something wrong or there is some alternate way to achieve this.

You must be using a different version of sed than I am. The documentation says that the +n syntax for the second address is a GNU extension. I ran a test of the above command with sed on Fedora Core 3 and it works fine.

I guess the question is what version of UNIX are you running and can you install GNU's version of sed on it. Otherwise I guess you'll need to use awk to do this.

Exclamation urgent

Quote Originally Posted by hyperbole
    You must be using a different version of sed than I am. The documentation says that the +n syntax for the second address is a GNU extension. I ran a test of the above command with sed on Fedora Core 3 and it works fine.

I guess the question is what version of UNIX are you running and can you install GNU's version of sed on it. Otherwise I guess you'll need to use awk to do this.

Can anybody help with awk or some shell script to achieve the task. Friends this is urgent

Place the following code into a file called script.awk:
    Code:
    BEGIN         { count = 21 }
    /pattern/     { count = 0; }
    count <= 20 { print; count++; }
    from the command line run:
    awk -f script.awk file-you-want-to-search

Thanks

Thanks a lot hyperbole , this worked.