Thread: Standby Server

Red face Unanswered: Standby Server

Hi All
    I have oracle 9i DB.
    I want to make a (standby server) in diffrent location, which is a mirror of my current server for the first time,
    then I want to send a batch to update it once aday.
    in case of any damage of the current server I will connect to the (standby server).

what is the right way to make this plan?

I am thinking of use RMAN , but how ?!?!?!?! (any help doc)

Are there a better way ?

Another Question :
    I use the (Archive log) in my DB, for now I am using EXP from my backup,
    I don't think that we need Archive log once we use EXP for all data, How to stop working with archive log?

thanx in advance
    Last edited by giggs11; 01-31-06 at 07:48.

From bottom to top,
    2) Indeed, backwards. Use export only as an utility to TEST your data (export will find in the event data is corrupted when doing so, whereas archived logs will not). Let your db in archive log as that is the mode every production database should be.

1) I believe you already checked the documenation on standby database servers. I've also find this presentation to be extremely helpfull.

From bottom to top,
    2) Indeed, backwards. Use export only as an utility to TEST your data (export will find in the event data is corrupted when doing so, whereas archived logs will not). Let your db in archive log as that is the mode every production database should be.

1) I believe you already checked the documenation on standby database servers. I've also find this presentation to be extremely helpfull.