Unanswered: ORA-12549: TNS:operating system resource quota exceeded

I a running 10g (10.1.0) running on a Windows 2000 SP4 box. I am NOT a 10g expert. I have worked with 8i and 9i and I'm relatively comfortable with those. I am NOT comfortable with 10g.

This is a vendor installed (and theoretically vendor supported) database. The vendor chose to install and configure ASM (automated storage management). We're not a RAC environment.

There are five tablespaces in the database and three of these are 99% full (or more). The db is thrashing about a lot and performance on the app side stinks.

I have tried a couple of ways to add storage to the tablespaces, but I keep getting the above error message. I have tried using sqlplus, TOAD and through the web EM interface. All three methods return the same error message. I have tried increasing the size of the next extent (auto extend is on for the tablespaces), but that does not seem to have had any effect.

I do see the following additional error message from the ASM log file:
    Code:
    Wed Feb 01 04:54:03 2006
    Errors in file e:\oracle\product\10.1.0\admin\+asm\bdump\+asm_rbal_1672.trc:
    ORA-04030: out of process memory when trying to allocate 65548 bytes (callheap,NT Device List)
    Finally, I can see through the web interface to ASM that roughly 50% of the available diskgroup is consumed, but there is still the other 50% which is available.

I have tried several different variations of key words to fiind an answer to this, but I keep coming up with unrelated topics. If someone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate a tip or two.

Short of that, anyone know where I can find a .50 cal sniper rifle to open negotiations with the vendor about a retrograde to 9i?

Regards,

hmscott

[PS. For the NSA folks who are listening in on this, that last sentence was meant to be a joke!]
    Have you hugged your backup today?

ORA-04030 error is telling you that an Oracle process has requested memory from the operating system but the OS does not have any memory to give.

1. Add more physical memory (RAM) to the database server.
    2. Increase the temp space on your database server and/or verifying that your temp disk is not full.
    3. Decrease your database footprint so that it uses less memory. You may want to decrease the SHARED_POOL_SIZE and DB_CACHE_SIZE initialization parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ida Hoe
    ORA-04030 error is telling you that an Oracle process has requested memory from the operating system but the OS does not have any memory to give.

1. Add more physical memory (RAM) to the database server.
    SGA = 660 MB
    PGA = 200 MB

Physical RAM = 1.5 GB
    2. Increase the temp space on your database server and/or verifying that your temp disk is not full.
    When I try to increase the space on the TEMP tablespace, I get the sae error message (ORA-12549).
    3. Decrease your database footprint so that it uses less memory. You may want to decrease the SHARED_POOL_SIZE and DB_CACHE_SIZE initialization parameters.
    I will try these next.

Regards and thanks for your prompt response,

hmscott

deleted: duplicate post

deleted: duplicate post

You can check if memory is an issue by using task manager (and showing all processes and also select VM size) and also using the performance monitor in windows to see if it is using the swapfile. You may find other process using too much memory.

If the memory is fine I would look at what sql is running, you may find that indexes are missing or stats havent been collected (unlikely as 10g should have an automated job to collect it). Enterprise Manager would probably be the easiest tool to check this.

Alan

A couple of questions:

1. Is there a Java-based version of the Enterprise manager, or is it just the web-based version for 10g? I have tried running oemapp from the command line and I get file not found.

2. The is ORA-12549 error related to lack of memory? Or is it something else and the memory issues are just another symptom?

3. As a side note, every once in a while, I will look in the processes tab and I will see TNSPing.exe running and consuming huge amounts of CPU (50-85%). I thought TNSPing was a client-side utility for network diagnostics. Why would it be running on the database server?

This is beginning to consume much more of my time than I would really like.

Regards and thanks again for any help,

hmscott

Okay, FYI, the Vendor stepped up, brought in an outside consultant and was able to extend the tablespaces. They had to stop/restart the instance to do so. Now I'm watching to see if some of our other issues resurface.

Regards,

hmscott