Red face Unanswered: how to use Activex Dll or Activex Exe in asp?

Hi,
    I am trying to use component developed in Vb.What I am doing is : -
    1.I am developing an Activex Dll named "Book.dll".This Book.Dll has a class named "item".This class has a function named "show()".

Public function Show()
    show="hello Joy"
    end function

I am trying to use this component in asp.I am writing
    Dim obj
    set obj=Server.Createobject("Book.Item")
    reponse.write(obj.show())
    but this is giving an error.....
    The error is permission denied to this component.I can't make out what is going wrong.Plz help me...
    Thanks in Advance,
    Joydeep
    Last edited by rudra; 02-05-06 at 02:17.

so..
    you designed the DLL.

are you trying to use this on your own machine (VB Scripting or as a webpage) or are you trying to use this on a website that you have and it is hosted on someone elses servers ?

if you are tring to use it on a website hosted someplace else...
    good luck.

the reason you are getting the error is because the DLL has to be registered and installed on the web server (just having it in the directory there is not good enough).

And the reason i say good luck is because most hosting companies (including us) will not install custom DLL's
    Last edited by kropes2001; 02-05-06 at 02:14.
    http://www.HawaiianHope.org
    Providing Technology services to non profit orgs, Homeless Shelters, Food Pantries, Clean And Sober Houses and more.
    To date we have given away over 900 free computers !

Hi
    Will u plz tell me how to register a dll in web server.Well, I have designed it myself in my machine and using it through Vb script in asp page.I am testing it in the same machine.When I am creating the dll using vb ,I think its registering the dll and when I am using it in vb ,its working fine.But in asp its giving an error while creating the object.Plz help...
    Thnaks!!
    Joydeep

Red face Using COM in Asp

Hi
    Will u plz tell me how to register a dll in web server.Well, I have designed it myself in my machine and using it through Vb script in asp page.I am testing it in the same machine.When I am creating the dll using vb ,I think its registering the dll and when I am using it in vb ,its working fine.But in asp its giving an error while creating the object.Plz help...
    Thnaks!!
    Joydeep

Even to run the ASP Page on your local system where you have made the VB DLL you need to register the DLL.

Use this,
    Start - Run - regsvr32 (Space)(Physical Path Of the DLL) - Enter

Quote Originally Posted by DBA_Rahul
    Even to run the ASP Page on your local system where you have made the VB DLL you need to register the DLL.

Use this,
    Start - Run - regsvr32 (Space)(Physical Path Of the DLL) - Enter
    I think I am doing all the things right,I have registered them also.Its working fine through vb when I am using the Dll in vb.But when I am using it in asp

dim obj
    set obj=server.createobject("Book.item")
    its showing a error that permission is denied for the component.I can't make out whats going wrong.
    Plz comment.
    Thanks!!
    Joydeep