Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Red face Unanswered: How many types of UDF are there?

Hi,
    Please help me to know this question.
    How many types of UDF are in SQL SERVER 2000?
    Please tell me if anybody knows the answer.
    Thanks in advance,
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 54
    Depending on how you define "type", the answer could range between zero and infinity. How do you define UDF "type" in this question?

This sounds like a homework question. If so, please either post the original assignment (verbatim, not your summary of it), or a link to an online copy of the assignment if it exists.

-PatP

hi PatP,
    thats not a homework question.I was asked this question in an interview?They asked me to name the 3 different types of UDF in SQL SERVER 2000.But I knew User defined function has no different types but the return type of UDF can vary?I thought may be there are different types of UDF that I donot know?At home,I searched the books but was in vain.Thats why I post this question in the forum.
    I think now its a bit clear for you to understand.
    Thanks!!
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 1
    Scalar, table, and in-line. That is probably the answer they are looking for. Now, check Books Online and learn what the definitions mean, which is much more valuable knowledge.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Ok, since you don't have the specification or the ability to ask for clarification, we'll need to work from my assumptions. I've got an answer, it is logically consistent (at least within my mind), but there is no guarantee that it is the answer the original writer was trying to get from you.

You need to really "think outside the box" for this one. Consider a marginal or worse SQL user, trying to compose questions that they feel will sound out the technical depth of a job candidate. They're looking for new features, or things that suprised them, rather than understanding what is useful/important in using the product, and they have no history with the product to understand its evolution.

Given that much background, review the documentation for CREATE FUNCTION and the three answers will jump off the page at you.

Just as an observation, if my analysis makes sense to you, be VERY thankful that you did not get that job. It would have been a trip to oblivion because you would have had an endless supply of work, much of it self-inflicted by the management team endlessly playing with "new toys" that they don't understand, then expecting you to clean up the carnage. In a "prior life" at another job, I've been there, done that, and still have the blood-stained tee-shirt to prove it.

-PatP

Thanks a ton to u both.
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Consider a marginal or worse SQL user, trying to compose questions that they feel will sound out the technical depth of a job candidate. They're looking for new features, or things that suprised them, rather than understanding what is useful/important in using the product, and they have no history with the product to understand its evolution.
    Oh, come on, Pat! I often ask that very same quesiton of candidates. It tells me whether they are familiar with SQL programming, not just server administration, and as a new feature (in 2000, anyway), it gave me an idea of how up-to-date their knowledge was. Though I usually just asked for the "two" types of UDF (scalar vs. table).
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Lord knows I've made enough bad assumptions about what would be clear to folks, but I always clarify when I realize that I've failed to communicate. If somebody is applying here and I get a "deer in the headlights" look on what I presume to be a reasonable question, I always make sure they have a chance to ask for clarification, and will sometimes offer one unsolicited.

I've had way too many instances where someone creates a "hiring survey" list of questions, then passes that list to someone in HR (who is barely able to read technology at that level), for them to use as a "litmus test" on new applicants.

Based on Rudra's questions, I assume that they had no idea what the question meant, and neither did the person asking the question. I don't know any of the languages from that part of the world, although I know people that speak them natively... Those languages don't deal with database topics well, so they often "borrow" English words and use them in linguistically interesting ways in order to make the discussion possible. I can only imagine what would happen when someone from HR that didn't already have a good command of the database subject tried to formulate a reasonable script of questions... I think that it could be several steps worse than awful!

-PatP

Hi PAtP,
    I think uor assumptions r true for this part of the world also.
    As you know India is growing to be the super power in Software Development hence the average IT knowledge is greater in this part .But sometimes HR people tries to do that ,I mean pretends to pose as IT professionals.In mine case,it was I think a HR who was asking question from a set of questionaires.Ok Thanks for your words.
    Thanks you!!
    Joydeep

I like in-line when the ponds are not frozen....
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by rudra
    As you know India is growing to be the super power in Software Development hence the average IT knowledge is greater in this part .

Well it wouldn't appear so now, would it.

What movie was that from...damn that's gonna bug me....
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Well it wouldn't appear so now, would it.

What movie was that from...damn that's gonna bug me....
    That comment also did a fair job of frostin' MY grandma's preserves :fume:

While it's not fair to generalize in rebuttal to a generalization, it sure ain't MY experience, and I've done my share of interaction with offshored folks, as well as worked with numerous "imports".

Comments like that greatly furrow my brow.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

TOP GUN, it was TOP GUN

"Lieutenant, the Pentagon see's to it that I know a lot more than you."

"Well it sure don't seem that way in this case maam, now does it"

"so where did you see the mig..."

"I came up through the clouds, and he was in my 6..."

"Well if he was directly below you, had could you see him?"

"Because I was inverted"

"(Cough...bullshit)"

I still love that movie......
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    TOP GUN, it was TOP GUN

"Lieutenant, the Pentagon see's to it that I know a lot more than you."

"Well it sure don't seem that way in this case maam, now does it"

"so where did you see the mig..."

"I came up through the clouds, and he was in my 6..."

"Well if he was directly below you, had could you see him?"

"Because I was inverted"

"(Cough...bullshit)"

I still love that movie......
    Ok Man, I want to ask you something,do u ever been in India?
    If not,you just can't realize what I mean.First you better know the land and then comment on that.I think you have mistaken between Land and Databases.
    OK, I invite you to visit here then I feel I can change your opinion.
    If you are an American, I think you will like this place.And I don't know what idea you all hold about India.I fear thats not true.
    The world is changing rapidly,just move your eyes a bit from these forums and databases.
    I have also seen "Tom Cruise" block bluster "Top Gun",but thats completely irrelevant to this issue.
    It would be better to comment on issues rather than individuals, and it would be better for the forum and everybody.Isn't it?We expect good suggestions from you but not this.
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 6
    I hear more complaints about off shored code than anything. of course I have enough problems with the development being done within 100 feet of me.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.