London, U.K

Unanswered: Advice on Web Server & SQL 2k Server Setup?

First, let me apologise, I tried to search for the answer to this, but the search wouldn't work for me, and other searches on the web have come up empty.

I'm just about to move my 2k website to dedicated hosting, and as our budget isn't so big, we can't afford two servers, thus both the web-server and SQL server need to be on the same machine.

My question is, what would people recommend for the software setup? The server is speced as follows:

- Pentium 4 3ghz
    - 2gb ram
    - 15gb primary partition
    - 100gb secondary partition
    - 250gb sata secondary drive
    - Windows Server 2003 SE

The storage arrangement is dictated by the host, as they supply and setup the server. I have no control over this.

I was thinking about putting SQL Server 2k Ent on the secondary partition, and the website on the secondary drive. I'm not sure about what to set SQL Server's memory configuration to, as I've always just worked with both the webserver and sql server on the same machine, with dynamic memory allocaton for sql server, in my development environments, with no problem, but also with no load.

What would be the best compromise considering the requirements here? I appreciate that having a machine dedicated for SQL Server is best, but I can't do that here, yet. Any help humbly appreciated!

Ugh. I don't have a lot of experience with low-budget web/database implementations and even less experience with hosted systems.

From a db perspective, exclusively, I would think that your most critical issue would be to separate the data files from the log files and then ensuring that you have another place to put your db backups (I saw only two physical drives, so I think you may be one short already).

There's not enough info to guesstimate sizing or performance requirements, so I'll pass there.

You know already that mixing SQL and IIS is a bad idea; if it can't be helped, then it can't be helped, but it is the first thing I would address down the road if more $$$ become available.

You're a business, you have a budget. You have to do what you have to do in order to make the business take off.

Know your hosting company. Know what their SLAs are. Know what defenses they are providing for you (firewalls, virus scanning, intrusion detection, system redundancy, site redundancy, disaster recovery, etc). Know what their backup policy is. Know what their backup retention policy is. Be prepared to test it/validate it.

Arm yourself with information and be prepared to go back to the business and advocate for more $$$. Be sure to always couch your requests for more $$ in terms of a) more business, b) cost savings and/or c) security/compliance.

Best of luck,

Have you hugged your backup today?

London, U.K
    Hey hmscott, thanks for the advice, there's some useful tips in there, especially concerning the splitting of data and log files! Performance wise it's a 50mb database with the site serving about 200 people concurrently on average, with peaks of up to 600 sometimes.

Two physical drives yes. I'll be handling daily backups of the machine by the pipe, as the hosts backup options are too costly for us. This has worked for us in the past and has already proven itself a viable approach.

I need to find some dba guide books now I think, grow from the developer understanding of SQL, to the management side.