Unanswered: Unable to start OracleDBConsole on 10g

I am struggling to get the 10g web-based EM console to work on my production database server.

I am running 10g 10.1.0.2.0 on Windows 2000 (SP4). After Oracle installation, the server was renamed and placed on a new domain. The server also got a new IP address.

I have been through every file that I could find to update the hard coded hostname entries to the new server name. I found one file where the IP address was hardcoded and updated it.

Still, I get an error message when I attempt emctl start dbconsole. Depending on the order in which I attempt things, I get different error messages.

1. If I start the emagent first from the command line, I get an error message indicating that the EMDROOT is not set. After setting EMDROOT, it appears that EMAGENT runs normally. When I type in http://localhost:1830, I get a message that the agent is running successfully.

If I then attempt to run emctl start dbconsole, then I get the following error message:
    Code:
    Agent is already started.  Will restart the agent.
    System error 1060 has occurred.

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
    emagent is running in the task manager processes tab.

2. If I don't start the emagent first, then I get a message indicating that the OracleDBConsole<SID> is starting, followed by a series of periods, followed by a message indicating that the service could not be started:
    Code:
    A service specific error occurred: 2.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3547.
    The text of helpmsg 3547 is not particularly helpful.

Questions:
    1. Why does Oracle keep telling me that EMDROOT is not set, when there is clearly an entry in the emd.properties file where EMDROOT is established?
    Update: Resolved. see below
    2. Why am I able to start emagent from the console, but it won't start after rebooting the server?
    Update: Resolved. see below

3. What goat/chicken/virgin should I sacrifice to get this thing working reliably?
    Update: still being researched.

regards,

hmscott
    Last edited by hmscott; 02-07-06 at 18:38.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

One quick update. Found a registry entry EMSTATE with an invalid entry (was missing the <SID> off the end of the value). This appears to have resolved the issue of emagent not starting without first entering a value for EMDROOT.

This is the message I get when I navigate to http://localhost:1830/emd/main
    Code:
    EMAgent10.1.0.2.0
    Congratulations, EMAgent is working!
    I still get the same error when trying to run emctl start dbconsole (ie, if emagent is running, I get invalid service name, if emagent is not running then I get service specific error 2).

Regards,

hmscott

Update number 2. Got the Console service to start normally. Found one final registry entry (EMSTATE) with the old server name. Ugh.

Now, however, I am unable to log in via the web console. It says that I have the wrong username/password (but I am able to log in to iSQLPlus using the same credentials).

This has not been a particularly pleasant experience.

Regards,

hmscott

You are not alone.

My problem is slightly different. I am running on XP Pro. Every time I create a new database i am able to log into http://localhost:1158/em and can successfully begin making changes to the DB. however, if for some reason I lose power, after the restart i can no longer access the control page. I have gone through every file i know of and they all show port settings are still the same and i have checked my firewall to ensure that it is not blocking the ports. I am not sure where to look for mods to config files or changes in the DB that would cause this. I am a pretty new student to Oracle and any help is appreciated.

Bryan

I found a couple of helpful URLS:

http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cf...-17.7657940139

and:

http://www.dbazine.com/blogs/blog-cf.../10goemlessons

I also used the emca utility from the command prompt to try to re-install the console. That worked to a degree, but still did not yield a full solution.

The console is now more or less functional. I am able to log in. Not everything is working however. The emd upload process is giving a "division by zero" error in the emagent trace file. I still cannot see the "home" page from the web console and I still cannot get the information on the ASM page to update.

Regards,

hmscott

Final update.

I used some instructions I found here for manually deleting the repository in a windows environment:
    http://idevelopment.info/data/Oracle...er/OEM_3.shtml

In short I did:

c:\ > emctl stop dbconsole

c:\ > emca -x SID

from sqlplus:

drop user sysman cascade;
    drop user mgmt_view cascade;
    drop role mgmt_user;

Then I ran the script that they provided:
    Code:
    DECLARE
        CURSOR c1 IS
          SELECT owner, synonym_name name
          FROM dba_synonyms
          WHERE table_owner = 'SYSMAN';

BEGIN
        FOR r1 IN c1
        LOOP
            IF r1.owner = 'PUBLIC' THEN
                EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'DROP PUBLIC SYNONYM '||r1.name;
            ELSE
                EXECUTE IMMEDIATE 'DROP SYNONYM '||r1.owner||'.'||r1.name;
            END IF;
        END LOOP;
    END;
    Then I ran:
    c:\ >emca -a

[the -a is for ASM since we are running on an ASM instance]

It was frankly really ugly. Some things I noted:

The first time through trying to recreate the repository, the command failed with some cryptic error message about setting the SYSAUX to a block size of 8kb. I had to hunt around for the log file which then showed that I had not dropped all the public synonyms.

The second time through, I missed the mgmt_view user.

The third time through, I got the service name wrong.

Each time, I had to go through the whole process of deleting the repository.

I don't even want to think about how much time I have wasted on this...

Regards,

hmscott