Unanswered: Converting a 6.5 compatible db to SQL Server 2005

I'm trying to convert a 6.5 compatible db from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2005. The issue I'm encountering is that:

1. I cannot simply convert the 6.5 compatible db to SQL Server 2005. I tried restoring from a backup - no success.
    2. I tried creating the structure in SQL Server 2005 and then importing the data from SQL Server 2000. Problem is - after importing the data, I then tried creating the primary key and indexes - get a time-out error (which I never got with SQL Server 2000.) I also tried creating the primary key and indexes in SQL Server 2005 FIRST before importing - got errors when trying to import and import failed.

I know this sounds like a data problem but I have no problems working with this 3 gig database in SQL Server 2000.

Can anyone please help? This is a pretty serious problem I need to overcome with the SQL Server 2005 conversion.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 54
    I've never tried this, but I think you need to "two-step" the database when you are skipping that many product generations. Restore the database from the 6.5 server onto a machine running SQL 2000. Then either upgrade the SQL 2000 server to SQL 2005, or use the DTS Copy Database Wizard to move the database to a SQL 2005 server. While it might be possible to do this in one jump, I'm almost certain that it is easy to do it in two.

-PatP

Issue resolved

I resolved this - it was fairly easy (too easy). All I had to do was open the properties of the database in SQL Server 2000, go to the Options tab, and change the compatibility level.

Thanks for the reply pat!
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)