Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    192

    Unanswered: Broadcast existence of SQL Server

    Hi All:

    Does anyone know where to find the property that disables the broadcast of the sql server from the point where you do not see the server show up in the list when one goes to

    "New SQL Server Registration" -> "..."

    beside the "Server" field. The dialog itself is titled "Registered SQL Server Properties". Assume both SQL Servers are both behind the firewall.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In front of the computer
    Posts
    15,579
    Provided Answers: 54
    While it isn't 100%, you can get a good start by disabling the Named Pipes Broadcast for SQL Server.

    -PatP

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    192
    Thanks for the reg key option. For some reason I seemed to remember seeing an option where you can set this from the enterprise UI. I could be wrong but does anyone remember anything along those lines.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Far away from heaven
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by access_dude
    Thanks for the reg key option. For some reason I seemed to remember seeing an option where you can set this from the enterprise UI. I could be wrong but does anyone remember anything along those lines.
    Start->Programs->SQL Server->Server Network Utility; in the General Tab, select TCPIP. Select Properties, Check the option HIDE SERVER.
    it would force SQL stop broad casting the port it's listening to.
    Cheers!





    !Direction is More Important than Speed!

    http://talatnauman.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In front of the computer
    Posts
    15,579
    Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeginner
    Start->Programs->SQL Server->Server Network Utility; in the General Tab, select TCPIP. Select Properties, Check the option HIDE SERVER.
    it would force SQL stop broad casting the port it's listening to.
    I think that is only a choice for named instances of SQL Server.

    -PatP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Far away from heaven
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I think that is only a choice for named instances of SQL Server.

    -PatP
    Hi. This is what BOL says.

    [Hide server

    Select to hide the instance of Microsoft® SQL Server™. When you hide an instance of SQL Server, responses to broadcasts from clients attempting to enumerate those instances of SQL Server present on the network are disabled.]
    named instance is not exclusively mentioned; have to test the scenario
    Cheers!





    !Direction is More Important than Speed!

    http://talatnauman.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •