Unanswered: Field Lookup Question

I am creating an access db to use on my website that will hold contact information for school teachers and administrators. I won't have any problems using the db on my website, but I would like to also be able to use the db within Access with all the relationships in place.

I have a main contact table the holds the name, address, and other contact info for each contact. One of the fields in this table is "org_id" which is the id of the organization the contact works for, which can be a school, system or state department. Each of these organizations have their own table.

Is there a way to setup a lookup on the "org_id" field in the contact table that can select an id from any three of the org tables?

I am using Access 2003.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by chief7
    One of the fields in this table is "org_id" which is the id of the organization the contact works for, which can be a school, system or state department. Each of these organizations have their own table.
    Are you sure that's such a good idea?

Anything can be made to query from anywhere with enough finagling, however what you just described screams for normalization. is there some requirement you're working with that dictates having a seperate table for each org?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Well I store different information for each type of organization. I have the following organization tables:

-schools
    -school_systems
    -state_depts

Every contact in the contacts table is associated with one of these organizations.

Provided Answers: 1
    I see...

How about putting those three organization types in an OrganizationType table, then using organization_type_id to dictate what type of org you're dealing with?

there are ways around storing different kinds of data for different organizations if you need to, we'll need more detail if that's the case...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***