Unanswered: generating full script tables and data?

hi, I'm using sql server 2005 standard, and I want to be able to move my local database to another server, but I can't figure out how to script the database and the data so that I can just run one script to move the whole database. this can be done right? I can't imagine that such an obiviously necessary tool would be intentionally left out, so I'm figuring that I'm just a doofus and don't know where the option is...

can anyone help? thank you!
    -SelArom
    Last edited by SelArom; 02-08-06 at 19:56.

Provided Answers: 54
    Your request is one of those "You can get there from here, but..." kind of things. You're obviously comming from another environment where scripting a database is either the easiest or the only way to move it from one server to another. That isn't the case with Microsoft SQL Server.

See the KB Article How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server for more details.

If you really want to script out the schema and data, you can do it. Getting Started with SQL-DMO will start you on your way, but I'd strongly recommend using one of the simpler methods!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Your request is one of those "You can get there from here, but..." kind of things. You're obviously comming from another environment where scripting a database is either the easiest or the only way to move it from one server to another. That isn't the case with Microsoft SQL Server.

See the KB Article How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server for more details.

If you really want to script out the schema and data, you can do it. Getting Started with SQL-DMO will start you on your way, but I'd strongly recommend using one of the simpler methods!

-PatP
    heh well I didn't mean to sound like such a n00b but why wouldn't this functionality be natively built in? I'll take a look at your links though, thanks a bunch!

-SelArom