Question Which programs you recommended PLZ help???

Hello , all
    I want to ask about my senior project I'm working in a system that needs a database for it. This system uses a GSM to send SMS message to a host PC. This message must be divided into fields in the database table to be represented in a nice GUI. What can I use to solve this problem and what is the easiest and efficient database program? And how can I connect it to the server?

I'll assume from your use of GSM near SMS that you're talking about cellular phones.

Why must the message be divided into fields? How does this help you?

Why do you need to send the message to a PC? Better yet, how do you decide which PC you want to receive the message? Can't you use an RFC 822 interface to send the message to an email server, and expect the PC to retrieve the message from the email server?

What are your choices for tools, servers, etc? Without more background, we can guess for days, but may never give you a useful answer.

You really need to think this assignment out a bit more. Maybe the links that I've provided will give you a starting point on that thought. I'll be glad to help, to serve as a sounding board, to offer advice... What you're asking for right now is for someone to do your assignement, and I will not do that.

-PatP

Question Re:

Thanks for your reply. No I will not use phone for this .I have some data in a handyboard formed in an sms message that I need to send to the head quarter "one specific Pc only". This process is done by a GSM server when the GSM sends the SMS there must be a database to store these SMS and to extract data from . Can I use Accesss to do this and how to connect it???

Quote Originally Posted by Eng_Girl
    Hello , all
    I want to ask about my senior project I'm working in a system that needs a database for it. This system uses a GSM to send SMS message to a host PC. This message must be divided into fields in the database table to be represented in a nice GUI. What can I use to solve this problem and what is the easiest and efficient database program? And how can I connect it to the server?

You may be able to use Access, and the connection will depend on how you choose to handle things like routing (P2P, ATF, PTT, switched, other), message store (I'm assuming you're UK based, where different wireless carriers use different methods and rules), etc.

Once you know what your requriements are, you'll have a much better chance of answering these questions... Right now you don't have (or at least haven't posted) enough information to start to answer them.

-PatP

I know students keep odd hours but 01:30 and working, and British - doubt it......

Pats is right to point out that a key aprt of your system design is interfacing the SMS system into you applciaiton then the choice of database is fairly arbitary at present.

The key iussue is how you expect to receive and decode the messages from your SMS server. There are several propriatory interfaces that coudl do this - some of the mobile manufacturers (Nokia & Motorola even have SMS interface APIS's). I suppose it depends on volume of SMS messages you expect.

A possible design strategy is to black box the SMS server and specify a required format for it to deliver data to your applicaiton, another is to talk to the phone directly. I have interfaced a phone connected to a PC via PHP scripts, I also use a Microsoft OS smartphone. All 3 phones are relatively easy to talk to. In principle the Samrtphone can be manipulated in exactly the same manner as an outlook folder - this may well be worth investigating.

The problem is that Access isn't neccesarily the best solution to do the interfacing to the phone, unless you have a Microsoft OS basaed phone. Its fine if you want a RAD to generate a "pretty" interface, but it can be a beggar to interface to hardware directly - for that reason I often resort to a quick & dirty VB6/VB.NET program.

So it may be that you need to break down the application into 3 stages
    1) data capture - either hardware or software interface to stripp off the data
    2) dumping data into your db (this could be amalgamated with step 1)
    3) reporting & MIS

Access is fine for step 3, given a choice I wouldn't use it for step 1. Depending on your experience and knowledge Access could be a resaonable choice - however if you are used to other RAD tools then these could be just as effective.

As Pat.P. says in order to help further you need to provide more information.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi,again thanks for your support I will explain to you further as you stated :

My Project is to determine some coordination using a GPS receiver in a car and then compare these coordination in the handy board with another set of coordination and based on some rules through serial interface ,an SMS message must be formed .
    This SMS contains data such as: Area Name,time,date,car Id ,driver name.
    Then the SMS send by the GSM .
    In the remote site a computer with a GSM server receives the message and passes it to a database to store each message and show it on a GUI.

I thought of the Access database because it is easier and I don't want to spend much time on the database. Can I use the JDBC then the java server?

Can you help me?
    Languages I know: Java,C++,assembly.

sorry
    I'm still confused...
    Is your problem handling the data from the GSM receiver, or from a file. IE are you expected to strip off the data from the GSM device / server, or is that already done, and you have a file containing the data?

If you already have the interface to extract the information from the SMS device / server, then I'd say Access is probably a very good solution for your requirements.

Just guessing the reference to 'handy' suggests this may be a German based question......
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

A Handyboard is a single board PC often used in educational and process control settings. It is frequently used to implement very simple mobile computing solutions for things like food delivery, etc.

-PatP