Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Timers ... Access 2000

Hi all.

Got a question: Can't you set/activate the form timer from ANYWHERE within the form module by setting the TimerInterval for the form?

I have a form with a "custom spinner" [a label that displays the slash chars in sequence ...]. I have it setup so that upon entry into the form, after 3 secs the spinner should start spinning ... Well the event kicks off properly BUT the spinning itself uses a 100 mill sec timer. Sooooo, I just changed the interval to 100 from 3000 (set in my Load event) and voila, no spinning ...

Any thoughts on this????

- Mike
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm not sure I understand your question...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    I'm not sure I understand your question...
    I setup the timer in the form load to fire after 3 secs. THEN I want the timer to fire at 100 mills after that for the spinner ... Right now it is not working with setting the interval in 1 of my module functions ...

Mike - you can (oooops - more correctly, i regularly) set .timerinterval anywhere in the module (confess i haven't tried setting forms!thatform.timerinterval but i can't see why that shouldn't work for any open form).

mmmmmmmmaybe a timer interval of tenth of a second is a touch aggressive?
    i guess you are doeventing or something to get the screen update... that's an almighty hit on whatever process takes long enough to need the visual hint

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    Mike - you can (oooops - more correctly, i regularly) set .timerinterval anywhere in the module (confess i haven't tried setting forms!thatform.timerinterval but i can't see why that shouldn't work for any open form).

mmmmmmmmaybe a timer interval of tenth of a second is a touch aggressive?
    i guess you are doeventing or something to get the screen update... that's an almighty hit on whatever process takes long enough to need the visual hint

izy
    Yes I am ... Unfortunately, my spinner isn't spinning ... I THINK because I'm invoking the fill routine from within the timer event procedure itself ... If I could find a way to call my routine asynchronously ... Call doesn't work. Tried it. Some days I wish for the good old days of C++ where I didn't have these problems ... I could make as many timers as I wanted ... <Sigh>

Hey Izy,

100 mills is fast enough that is spins and doesn't blur ... Keep in mind: Simple label with the character sequence - / | \

i hear you - flicks being 24 frames/sec etc.
    but... when does your newly imposed timer get to play?

i mostly use the timer to fake a fast screen response.

confession #2: i haven't played in your arena.

in my case, i often use a designtime .timerinterval of 1... while the form grafix is loading the timer event just doesn't happen and the form flashes in front of my gullable users in a blink... i fill my unbound-world equivalent of .recordsource after the timer trips (setting .timerinterval = 0 in the process else madness follows swiftly).

so question: are you convinced that the timer event occurs during your process. for me, in my _Load() process, it does not happen until load completes.

i suspect (zero data) that your process is not passing control to A's timer... hence my concern that you plan to interrupt your process 10 times a second to allow the timer to do it's thing.

izy

diagnostic:

modulewide Dim ImInMyProcess as bool

when you switch to your process
    ImInMyProcess = True

in _timer()
    if ImInMyProcess then
    msgbox "izy is talking bullshit"
    endif

izy

i hear you - flicks being 24 frames/sec etc.
    but... when does your newly imposed timer get to play?

i mostly use the timer to fake a fast screen response.

confession #2: i haven't played in your arena.

in my case, i often use a designtime .timerinterval of 1... while the form grafix is loading the timer event just doesn't happen and the form flashes in front of my gullable users in a blink... i fill my unbound-world equivalent of .recordsource after the timer trips (setting .timerinterval = 0 in the process else madness follows swiftly).

so question: are you convinced that the timer event occurs during your process. for me, in my _Load() process, it does not happen until load completes.

i suspect (zero data) that your process is not passing control to A's timer... hence my concern that you plan to interrupt your process 10 times a second to allow the timer to do it's thing.

izy
    What I'm doing is popping up my form with no data in it. Wait 3 secs and flash up a "LOADING" label. In addition, have a spinner running as the indicator that stuff is processing ... Since my call to the function to do this is within the timer event proc itself, it looks to me (empirical evidence) that the timer is suspended until returning from the proc. The timer events are either stacking up or suspended. In either case, net result: no spinner. And yes, I am doing DoEvents within the function itself ...

This is a visual trick I wanted to try out in a real app ... I was screwing around in my between time making a little test spinner tool. Looks like it might be going to the shitcan ...

were having a bit of an async discussion here. missed your first reply, got half way into that and then saw your latest. seems we are playing on the same court.

don't do the initial 3 seconds thing.
    _Timer doesn't kick in until the _Load event is fully completed.
    designtime at .timerinterval = 1
    run your data fill when the timer ticks.

works a (faked, visual-experience-only) treat!

i'm betting it's a not async prob.

izy

were having a bit of an async discussion here. missed your first reply, got half way into that and then saw your latest. seems we are playing on the same court.

don't do the initial 3 seconds thing.
    _Timer doesn't kick in until the _Load event is fully completed.
    designtime at .timerinterval = 1
    run your data fill when the timer ticks.

works a (faked, visual-experience-only) treat!

i'm betting it's a not async prob.

izy
    Izy,

Here's what I did (made no difference either): Set my interval to 100 mills and ignored the 1st 30 ... (Nice 3 sec delay) Then called my routine from within the timer event proc ... Same exact thing. No timer events popping while in my routine. Mind you, DoEvents IS being called ...

Gotta run. I'll check back in tonight ...

doevents() should cede control to A's timer IF the the timer is capable of queuing whilst your process is running.
    ...so my best guess is we hit a sync-process wall.

meanwhile, maybe uselessly, if this is a _Load, forget the drop 30 - there is no none nil timer event until _Load completes (sync symptom again)

me too gotta go - redwine calls!

izy

doevents() should cede control to A's timer IF the the timer is capable of queuing whilst your process is running.
    ...so my best guess is we hit a sync-process wall.

meanwhile, maybe uselessly, if this is a _Load, forget the drop 30 - there is no none nil timer event until _Load completes (sync symptom again)

me too gotta go - redwine calls!

izy
    Izy ... Dropping the 1st 30 events is good for me. I WANT the loading to kick off 3 secs AFTER the form loads ... It just that that last timer event when I call my load routine is blocking further events from running (thereby having no spinner effect) ... I was thinking on this more last night and I'm of the opinion that the timer events are firing, it just that they are queued up waiting for the event running the load routine to finish. And my prob is that the LAST thing the load routine does is turn off the timer (thereby killing off all the other queued up events) ...

UPDATE:

I'm dropping this spinner idea for right now ... It looks like the only way to get this thing to go is to setup another timer event in the form for the spinning ... Not worth my time right now.

- Mike

DELETED - was CRAP
    Last edited by izyrider; 02-10-06 at 14:15.