Unanswered: Summing duplicate values

Hi Pls help. I am trying to write a sum function which compares values down a column and then adds values from another column if there are more than one. The formula I wrote works for 2 identical values but not for more than that. I'll copy my formula to make it clearer:

=IF(A2=A3, A2+A3, "").

This works if A2 and A3 are duplicated but does not work if there are more than 2. How can I get round this? Does anyone know how I can write it in VBA if it can't be done as a pure function?

Tasha,

The requirement is not at all clear to me - and, the example is not consistent with the description (doesn't refer to a different column).

Please post again with a clearer description and a better example.

regards,
    Fazza

Quote Originally Posted by tasha123
    Hi Pls help. I am trying to write a sum function which compares values down a column and then adds values from another column if there are more than one. The formula I wrote works for 2 identical values but not for more than that. I'll copy my formula to make it clearer:

=IF(A2=A3, A2+A3, "").

This works if A2 and A3 are duplicated but does not work if there are more than 2. How can I get round this? Does anyone know how I can write it in VBA if it can't be done as a pure function?
    is it something like this you are after (this is just a guess at what is required)

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$13=$A2)*($B$2:$B$13))

give it a try and see if it does what you need if not as fazza sed youll need to be clearer

All the Best
    Dave