Red face Unanswered: I need help ! Urgently !

Dear members,

I've a problem, and that problem is that I can't login in database ! When I try to login using SQL Plus or Forms Builder, I get errors...

This is the first time that problem happens to me. I have just set up Oracle server and developer at the same machine, but in different partitions !

I did these features:

global database name: tony sid: tony

sys password: tony

system password: tony

and when I try to login to create a new account and start working, I get errors, for example: when I try to log in that way::

scott/tiger@tony
    I get this error: couldn't resolve service name

and when I try to login using
    system/tony
    I get this error: protocol adapter error.

so, what can I do??

I can't work in eiter forms builder or sql plus,

I need your help urgently

Thanks for giving time in reading this message !

Best regards..

Provided Answers: 4
    Sometimes SQL*Net gets confused while installing different Oracle products. You could play with SQL*Net Configuration Assistant, but this procedure might also give results:

Go to the directory into which you installed Oracle database; find \network\admin directory and take TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA files. You'll need them later.

Then go to the directory into which you installed Oracle Developer; find the same \network\admin directory. Rename files you find there into .OLD ones for backup purposes (for example, TNSNAMES.OLD). Now copy three files you took earlier so that in both \network\admin directories you have the same version - the one you got during database installation.

Try to connect to the database.

If this doesn't help, come back here and post files I mentioned earlier (all three of them). Then we'll see what next.

Smile Thanks

Thaks too much,

I'll try what you said to me, and I'll tell you the results.

Thanks alot.

Best Regards..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    Sometimes SQL*Net gets confused while installing different Oracle products. You could play with SQL*Net Configuration Assistant, but this procedure might also give results:

Go to the directory into which you installed Oracle database; find \network\admin directory and take TNSNAMES.ORA, SQLNET.ORA and LISTENER.ORA files. You'll need them later.

Then go to the directory into which you installed Oracle Developer; find the same \network\admin directory. Rename files you find there into .OLD ones for backup purposes (for example, TNSNAMES.OLD). Now copy three files you took earlier so that in both \network\admin directories you have the same version - the one you got during database installation.

Try to connect to the database.

If this doesn't help, come back here and post files I mentioned earlier (all three of them). Then we'll see what next.

Thanks too much for helping me,

it works now
    I appreciate that too much

Thanks again.

but could you please do me anther favour?

I've my own database file exported from another machine, and would like to import it here in my new machine. so, could you please tell me the command of importing it?
    and if you can tell me both commands of importing and exporting databases, I'll be so thankful , coz these commands were with me on a paper, but I missed them both.

anyway, thanks alot for helping me.

Best Regards..

Is it the WHOLE database export (that is, the full database export) or only your schema? Difference between two of them (regarding commands) isn't large, but you - as an "ordinary" user - can not perform full export and/or import.

I *guess* you exported only your schema. To create its copy in another database, create user (it does not have to have the same name) and, from the command prompt, issue such a statement:

IMP newly_created_user/its_password@database_on_your_pc FILE=export_file_you_have

There will be a warning message that the export wasn't done by you but another user, but don't worry about it. If you gave/received grants on another database, they will probably fail here.

If you, on the other hand, have a full database export, you'll have to perform import as a privileged user (SYS, for example):

IMP SYS/its_password@database FILE=export_file FROMUSER=user_on_another_database TOUSER=newly_created_user

Omit "fromuser" and "touser" and add "full=Y" if you want to import the whole export file (running the command as SYS, of course).

We have no problem with you posting, that is what we are here for, but next time please use a more descriptive subject line like "Added new product and I can't connect any more". There are a number of users that will not bother reading messages with subject lines like "HELP".
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    There are a number of users that will not bother reading messages with subject lines like "HELP".
    The word "Urgent" sometimes does it for me as well

I agree, thread subject wasn't chosen wisely. But, on the other hand, seeing not more than dozen daily posts here, even an "urgent" message (which, finally, appeared not to be that urgent) is worth reading.

Who knows, maybe I'll became famous because of reading such threads. Just like those girls who became famous just because of running in slowmotion in Baywatch. One can never know

Thanks alot everybody, and I'm sorry for naming the subject that way, but I was just describing my feeling, coz I had to test something on my pc coz I would have a test for applying for a job just 2 days after this problem faced me. that's why it was so urgent and I needed help, coz if you didn't help me that fast, I would may loose this job.

anyway, I'm so sorry again for that

thanks for helping me

thanks for your time.

Best Regards..