Unanswered: SQL 2005, cannot connect??

Hi, I've looked through the search facility and not seen anything discussed for this before, and wonder if someone here has the answer?

I've just setup a new server (Win Server 2003 SE SP1), installed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition and can connect to it fine locally using Management Studio, but when I try to connecto to it via MS remotely, I get nothing.

I've enabled remote connections, the firewall is set to allow TCP port 1433 through (though even with the firewall off, I get nothing). Just TCP/IP is enabled as a network protocol, but I've tried all others (service doesn't start if trying to use VIA), with all but VIA enabled for Native Client Protocols.

I've fiddled with this for a couple of days now and not got anywhere. If I enable IIS on the server, I can telnet to that fine, so the server is listening on the network fine, but telnet'ing to port 1433 gets no reply.

Am I missing something obvious here? Please help, it's driving me mad!

Provided Answers: 54
    There are LOTS of possible problems you could be running into. Start by browsing this search of MSDN. If that doesn't help, let us know what problems you've already researched, what you've found, and I'll bet that somebody will be able to help you!

-PatP

Thanks Pat.

I've gone through all the relevant documents on that page you linked, and everything looks good, but doesn't work. The service appears to be listening to port 1433 tcp, port 1434 udp for remote connections, has tcp-ip enabled as a network protocol and the firewall is also configured for this.

I've even tried disabling both the firewall at the client end, and the server, but still get no response. I've checked that there's no IPSEC blocking things at the server end.

Is there some fundamental limitation with Developer Edition that means it can't accept remote connections, a licensensing safeguard perhaps?

I'm baffled here. I may have to go back to SQL 2000 at this rate.

Connecting

We had similar problems. Here's a couple of things to check:

1. Edit the Properties of the SQL Server (is it set to Windows Authenticiation?)
    2. If you're using Samba, check the settings in that (our network person had to do something there with my profile.)
    3. Check the Log On tab of the Services (in administrative tools - click on the SQL Server. This is ON the actual SQL Server box.) This should be administrative or the equivelant.
    4. Check the other settings in the Services.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Hey Paul,

1: Mixed Authentication
    2: No Samba
    3: Using the Local Service for all SQL services
    4: Nothing seems out of the ordinary

Stumped! Thanks for your advice though.

I've just noticed in the firewall log, there's no requests hitting it for ports 1433/1434, I'm going to speak to our admins and see if there's some other firewall downstream that's filtering them out...