Unanswered: PROBLEM WITH DATABASES - Autonumbering

I am doing my Coursework in Access and needed some help. I am trying to use the Autonumber function to automatically create User ID's but having no success. The actual autonumber feature creates a random number which is in decimals and is negative. I needed a positive 8 digit number which can be random and automatically generated. Can anyone help? Please do not use the terminology.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skgwho
    I am doing my Coursework in Access and needed some help. I am trying to use the Autonumber function to automatically create User ID's but having no success. The actual autonumber feature creates a random number which is in decimals and is negative. I needed a positive 8 digit number which can be random and automatically generated. Can anyone help? Please do not use the terminology.
    Thanks
    Hi

That is one heck of a number (8 digits) - are you sure it isn't actually a text string? For example, is the minimum value for this number 10 million or 1?

BTW - we can help guide you on your question however you will have to do all the work. This is your coursework assignment and you will have to be the one to do it. I am forewarning as the Mods may feel it necessary to comment too.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Hi

That is one heck of a number (8 digits) - are you sure it isn't actually a text string? For example, is the minimum value for this number 10 million or 1?

BTW - we can help guide you on your question however you will have to do all the work. This is your coursework assignment and you will have to be the one to do it. I am forewarning as the Mods may feel it necessary to comment too.
    Or the rest of Grand Poobahs or flump cuddlers who will not do someones schoolwork for them ... I do have a helpful tip tho:

Try using a LARGE 8 digit Prime number (if needed, write a little program to do it for you) as your seed plus the time of day and date (for randomness) to gen your ID ...

P.S. - You take all the fun out of our day when we can't fling technological terms around with abandon ... It just crushes my will to live ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    Or the rest of Grand Poobahs or flump cuddlers who will not do someones schoolwork for them ...
    Hey Mike - just noticed your designation - back to what it was eh? So - you gonna need to get a new sig?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Hey Mike - just noticed your designation - back to what it was eh? So - you gonna need to get a new sig?
    Naw ... Was FINALLY able to set it myself ... I had to give up my birthday to get it tho ... Did you know that every programmer was born on Jan 1, 1980???? What a coincidence ...

I am open to suggestions for a new sig tho ... I KNOW THAT is really asking for trouble ...

It is good to get our resident Poobah back. I had to google it some years ago - not such a common phrase in Blighty.

I've been thinking about changing my sig too ... and Izy... how much more time does he need to think about migration?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

It is good to get our resident Poobah back. I had to google it some years ago - not such a common phrase in Blighty.

I've been thinking about changing my sig too ... and Izy... how much more time does he need to think about migration?
    He's never gonna get off the pot on that ... If he hasn't changed his DAO spots by now ...

On this poster's subject: Another evil thought of mine is they COULD do something on what you said: Make an 8 digit string and populate it with random 0-9 character digits ... Making sure that the 1st digit is not a zero.

They will need to read up on random numbers, generators, and proper seeding techniques ...

Ah, schoolwork ... Even professionally, we still need to do our research ...

Provided Answers: 59
    Just out of curioisity how do propose to enforce the uniqueness of your random number, and what processes do you plan to put in place if the random number already exists.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1
    Have a look in the help file for "Randomize Statement". Yet another way to skin the proverbial cat.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***