Unhappy Unanswered: Unable to Add Record in Form View

Went into my database today (Access 2002) to add more records in form view but found 'New Record' icon greyed out. Have added new records over past few weeks with no problems. Total of 237 records inputted up to now. Also cannot edit or delete records. Can anyone help please - desperate.

Open form in DESIGN VIEW, click on PROPERTIES,
    Put Yes on [B]Allow Edits, Allow Deletions, Allow Addition[B],
    Put No on data Entry.

Unhappy

Thanks for this but my properties were already set to what you suggested and I still can't add, delete or edit records.

Provided Answers: 1
    Is this your database? Do you have exclusive rights to it? or more directly, is it possible that another user could have changed the design of the form? Also, can you add data directly to the underlying table?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Another hilarious scam is if your network admin decided to downgrade your permissions to the directory and not tell you. How I laugh.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hah! I had that happen once. I had an angsty admin who pulled my administrative rights while he went on vacation out of country. They weren't so amused when the backup queue's filled up and started crashing the network left and right.

My Boss: "Do you know what's wrong."
    Me: "Yup."
    My Boss: "Can you fix it?"
    Me: "Yes and no..."
    My Boss: "???"
    Me: "Remember when I said that to be an admin, it would be helpful to actually have admin privelages?"
    My Boss: "Oh yeah..."

Short story long, the entire company was incapacitated for about three days.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Unhappy

Thanks for replies. Myself and a colleague created the database so no one else can change admin rights, although it is a multi user database but I can't think that anyone would want to change it! We can still add data to the underlying table. Could it be something to do with the query we based the form on?

Quote Originally Posted by jfblack
    We can still add data to the underlying table. Could it be something to do with the query we based the form on?
    Almost certainly. Can you open the query and try to edit records there please. I imagine you can't. If not - could you post the SQL?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 59
    is anyone admitting they made a change to the tables or query between the time it worked, and when it doesn't work? If so investigate what that change was. If there is just the 2 of you then that reduces the number of candidates. of course you could always refer to your system documentation where evry change you have made is documented (as if).

The prime candidates in my opinion would be :-
    - a change in the primary key defintion
    - missing a primary key ( or element of a primary key so the query can no longer uniquely identify the row to add)
    - addition of a required column in a table, which has no default value, but hasn't been added to the queery.

but shouwing your table defintions and offending SQL is probably the best first step.
    HTH
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Of course, no one admits to changing anything! Primary keys are still there and no additions. The query SQL is:

SELECT tblRMS.JobNo, tblRMS.JobType, tblRMS.JobDescriptionLookUp, tblRMS.Amendment, tblRMS.OrigJobNo, tblRMS.CDUNo, tblRMS.Description, tblRMS.DateReceived, tblRMS.TimeReceived, tblRMS.DateRequired, tblRMS.TimeRequired, tblRMS.NoDateOrTimeSpecified, tblRMS.FirstName, tblRMS.Surname, tblRMS.Room, tblRMS.CostCentreCode, tblCostCentreCode.CustomerSection, tblCostCentreCode.CustomerDivision, tblCostCentreCode.CustomerDirectorate, tblCostCentreCode.Department, tblRMS.CustomerLocationLookUp, tblRMS.NameShareLookUp, tblRMS.DateStartedShare, tblRMS.TimeStartedShare, tblRMS.NameLookUp, tblRMS.DateStarted, tblRMS.TimeStarted, tblRMS.DateCompleted, tblRMS.TimeCompleted, tblRMS.DeliveryLookUp, tblRMS.Delay, tblRMS.NoOfPages, tblRMS.Hrs, tblRMS.Mins, tblRMS.UnableToMeetDeadlineValue, tblRMS.Comments
    FROM tblCostCentreCode INNER JOIN tblRMS ON tblCostCentreCode.CostCentreCode = tblRMS.CostCentreCode;

Thanks

Good point from Mark - if these are linked tables then delete the links and recreate them.

The query doesn't look like the offender to me now you've posted the SQL.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. Our database is now up and running again.

Provided Answers: 59
    Great, glad to hear the fault is fixed, but waht was the resolution. It helps if you report back what you did to resolve the problem, so that others with similar problems can get a solution, or at least get a pointer to where to look.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

We resolved our problem by creating a new query and recreating the relationships.