Unanswered: Need help on an SQL query to return top value

I have a table that I need to pull only the record with the most recent date for each project listed in the table.

For instance, my fields are PROJECT_ID_NBR, Note_Date, User_ID, and Case_Note.

What I need is for each Project_ID_Nbr, I need to pull the record with the most recent date.

I'm pretty new to SQL, but I imagine this isn't that complex. I found a post with something similar using the 'Top 1' field, but I couldn't adapt it to work. I also found a microsoft knowledge base article somewhat related, but again, couldn't make it work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Nate

Provided Answers: 1
    "Top 1" would work. It returns the first record of a given set of data. So, if you were to create a query that returned all of your records in DESCENDING order by date, the first record would be the one with the highest date right?

SELECT TOP 1 yourFields
    FROM yourTable
    ORDER BY yourDate DESC

Just out of curiosity, what happens if more than one project has the same date?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I tried what you suggested at first. What it does is return just the top 1 record with the highest note_date value in the whole table.

To answer your question, since I have four case notes with the same date, it actually returns all four.

Logically, it seems like I need to call each project individually, grab the top 1 case note, then aggregate them together. I though about doing it programmically, but I figured with SQL, there might be an easier way.

One could use a correlated sub query or a derived table for that so one got all ones info in one statement
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    Oh, you need a list of latest case notes for EVERY project. Well, that's a bit different.

Max() could get you where you want to be.

WHERE yourDate = Max("[yourDate]", "[yourTable]", "some criteria")
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***