Question Unanswered: Concatenate values of fields WHERE names are equal

MS Access 2000

I have a table with a list of file shares and the data 'owner' for that file share. One file share along with the owner's info (email, etc) is stored in each record;
    I need to send emails out to each owner with a list of all file shares that 'belong' to that owner in a list.
    I have a product to automate the emails, but it processes them one record at a time.
    Is there a way to calculate a long string of each file share name with carriage returns in between each one in a memo field based on equal owner names?

Thanks - it's been ages since I had to work on databases and I'm extremely rusty!

Provided Answers: 1
    Not likely with that structure. What happens if the owners name is mis-spelled on one record or the puncuation is different?

If you had another table for owners and then related that table to your file share table, then you could probably pull it off.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks for looking at it. If I separated the data, how would you recommend relating the records?

I asked because I actually do have the user information in another table, I just can't figure out how to get all the file shares grouped together into one field. I need to do this so that I can send each user an email with the list of file shares assigned to them. Thanks again for any suggestions!

If you have "client information" in one table and "file share" in another then just make a 1-many relationship between the 2 tables (1 client - many file shares, create a form Main form (Client) subForm (FileShare) , create a report that will show 1 client with many fileshares , e-mail the report to client.

Result client get e-mail with report attached with a list of his/hers "file share"
    Regards,

John A

Hi

The usual wheeze for this sort of thing is to create a function that takes the users ID as a parameter. Open a recordset for all the files for this user and loop through them, concatenating them into a string. Spit out the string when the recordset reaches the end of the file.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Red face create a function

"create a function that takes the users ID as a parameter. Open a recordset for all the files for this user and loop through them, concatenating them into a string. Spit out the string when the recordset reaches the end of the file."

Could you help with a code example for that? Using Access 2000... I've tried several examples from the web and can't get it to work.

I am able to get the information together on a form, but need it in the form of a query for use by another program we're using.

Hi turnertodd

How are you at setting up a public function that accepts arguments and returns a string?

...and how good are you at using recordsets (ADO or DAO)?

It will just help me help you...
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by turnertodd
    I've tried several examples from the web and can't get it to work.
    Even better - waddaya got so far?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I'm a complete novice - worked with some simple procedures 10+ years ago and now don't remember squat! I was trying to modify "‘Concatenate fields in same table" by Dev Ashish found on the web but I know barely enough to be dangerous. Thanks again.

Jolly good.

Dev's code for this is very generic - as such it is probably more complex for you to see what is going on.

Attached is pretty well the same but more stuff hard coded, no error trap etc. Easier to adapt I would expect.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Thanks very much! I'm still having a problem though - My ID field is a string rather than an Integer so I'm getting a run time error "expected 1" if I change that to "as string" in the code vs. "as integer". When left "as integer" the formula returns #error....

New version attached. Includes string version and annotates the code.

HTH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

You're a gem! Thanks VERY much! Works like a charm.